Cougar/Mec 250 Set Up...

Good day all, getting ready for my second season with my cougar and think I can get a little better performance out of her. 2019 cougar with 250 V8 and a 25p tempest plus. I can squeeze 74mph but I'm only getting 5800 rpm... I have hydraulic JP as well. Switched to lithiums and didn't loose any speed, my hole shot did improve noticeably and speed the same. She will run comfortably at 72mph at 74mph I have to work to keep her level. Wondering if a 24p fury 3 blade will help?

thx all

Send a 24 Fury 3 to Ronnie Gilbert if you want to get the most out of your rig.

3. Member
    I know you are in Ontario. Call John at Kawartha Prop. He is the expert in these parts. He will get you set up properly. Fury 3 or Bravo XS likely be better, depending on whether you want top end or mid range handling, but he will help you.

https://kawarthapropeller.com/
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

4. Member
    Thanks for info. Looking from others that have same rig/motor and what they are using.

5. Member
    I'm tracking this thread, as well...

I have a 21 cougar FTD, bought used 2 weeks ago. It came witha 26 fury 3 and lithium trolling batteries and Bob's jack plate. I'm usually running fairly light...I don't carry a bunch of extra crap. 3.5" prop to pad out of the hole is money, but chine walks at 70...rpm at 5800. If I raise to 2.5", can get 72.5 before it starts walking. At 2.5", water pressure is still at 20... RPM at 6000.

Should I keep raising the plate or go lower?
    Last edited by Bogeypro; 03-31-2023 at 12:18 AM.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

I would not keep raising the jackplate, you just need seat time to work stopping the chine walk before it starts. Here's a good video showing how Rick Pierce gets the most out of a BCB. Bogeypro, you have a ton of slip at 6K running 72mph, lower the prop, stop the chinewalk, trim in bumps and you'll build speed. The majority of guys are running a 24 Fury 3 on the 4 stroke Cougars, maybe a 25 Fury 3 in the winter.

7. Member
    Ohhhh, thanks for the info on the prop. I wasn't sure what folks were running. This one looks like it might have been a spare..it's not in the best of shape. I'll look for a different one.
    2023 Skeeter FXR20
    Lake Guntersville

Quote Originally Posted by Bogeypro View Post
    Ohhhh, thanks for the info on the prop. I wasn't sure what folks were running. This one looks like it might have been a spare..it's not in the best of shape. I'll look for a different one.
    He probably sold it with the spare from a 2 stroke ProXS and kept the prop pitched for his new 4 stroke!

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    The majority of guys are running a 24 Fury 3 on the 4 stroke Cougars, maybe a 25 Fury 3 in the winter.
    That makes sense. For the previous generation of 250 2 strokes on a Cougar/Puma, the common prop was a 25 Fury 3. When the 4 stroke came along, the recommendation was to pitch down to a Fury 24 3.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

10. Member
    Walkin is part of going fast. Watch the videos Rick has out on YouTube. It takes a little time but once you understand what the boat is doing, correcting the boat while driving will become 2nd nature. I’m running a stock 24p fury 3 on my ‘20 Cougar merc 250 @6150rpm and 76-79mph depending on conditions. Lithium’s & poles.
    Last edited by Knuckle; 03-31-2023 at 09:24 PM.
    2020 BassCat Cougar FTD SP
    2020 250 Pro SX
    #Denalirods #Powerpole
    #PowerhouseLithium
    #Powerpole Move

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Knuckle View Post
    Walkin is part of going fast. Watch the videos Rick has out on YouTube. It takes a little time but once you understand what the boat is doing, correcting the boat while driving will become 2nd nature. I’m running a stock 24p fury 3 on my ‘20 Cougar merc 250 @6150rpm and 76-79mph depending on conditions. Lithium’s & poles.
    Sounds like a need me a 24p fury and some more seat time.

Thx all

23 fury reworked by Ronnie gilbert.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Yes, we do not suggest a Tempest in this application. The 24 Fury would be our go to and continue to keep the engine lower, especially now that you have lithium as the hull will have different lift and balance on the reduced Weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass_boat_boy View Post
    Sounds like a need me a 24p fury and some more seat time.

Thx all