Thread: Lanterns 101

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lanterns 101

School me on lanterns.

I once owned a Coleman that used small propane cylinder, north star I think it was. Gave it away cleaning out the garage. Never used it.

Now I’ve got the itch for a new one. For around the house use, night time river bank fishing, and general disaster preparedness. Specifically looking at the dual fuel model. I assume that it runs on camp fuel white gas & regular pump gasoline?

What about the canned 4 cycle fuel for running generators and pressure washers? Will a dual fuel run on this stuff?

Also are there other good quality brands to consider or is Coleman pretty much the industry standard?

2. Member
    I would not advise putting gas in there......

Quote Originally Posted by The5thDutton View Post
    Why not? The Coleman dual-fuel lantern is designed for unleaded gas. Have burned many gallons in one with no issues.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    The loonies will be coming for our lanterns in no time. They are a pain but I still prefer a good Coleman lantern. Burned skin, broken gloves and tore up mantels and everything that goes with it. I prefer propane but the fuel fuel ones may be more economical.

5. Member
    They make some good LED lanterns that are a lot less hassle and are ready to go in an emergency. I have propane and gas but use LED in the house.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    They make some good LED lanterns that are a lot less hassle and are ready to go in an emergency. I have propane and gas but use LED in the house.
    Same here. I have a couple of Coleman LP, but find myself using my 2 LED lanterns instead. LED is bright and the batteries last a lot longer than the old incandescent versions.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Why not? The Coleman dual-fuel lantern is designed for unleaded gas. Have burned many gallons in one with no issues.
    Maybe I'm wrong. The last dual fuel lantern I had burned kerosene as the secondary fuel source.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    Same, and also in the dual fuel stoves.

9. Member
    Duel Fuel. Something is ALWAYS available that will burn in them. I've used Coleman Fuel that sat on the shelf, in someone's the garage for 40 years and it still works.( The gas out of the mower,ATV, or boat)

10. Member
    Google Bell & Howell tach lantern. Works great and indestructible. Uses batteries or USB charge. Why screw around with fuel etc. good luck.

Maybe I'm wrong. The last dual fuel lantern I had burned kerosene as the secondary fuel source.
    MCPO

I never backlash, but each time I go fishing I practice fixing them, just in case I ever do really backlash.

12. Member
    I have a zipping lantern. Battery operated.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Billdoe708 View Post
    I have a zipping lantern. Battery operated.
    What's a zipping lantern?

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pabasshawk View Post
    +1
    Sometimes I take the Coleman camping but mostly I just use the LED's for camping and emergencies. I have a few compact solar recharged lights that are handy if you fish or hunt until dark thirty. They come on at dark and let you see what you're doing until you can get the main lights going

15. Member
    Says directly in the product description you can use unleaded gasoline.

https://www.coleman.com/lighting/lan...tionPoint=Show

16. Member
    When I tried unleaded in a dual fuel I found it would smoke at times clouding up the glass. I've never had that issue using Coleman fuel.

17. Member
    Back in the day we used Coleman fuel, Or Amaco White gas. It was the only unleaded available at the time. The leaded gas would clog up the generator in the lantern.regular unleaded fuel fixed that problem.

18. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar

I've got a propane model, but like this one best. It's a 1958 Model 220E that belonged to my Grandparents... They gave it to me ~1985, while I was in college.

It had started giving some problems quite a while ago, so I just kind of put it away and forgot about it. Got it out a few years back and went all through it (new pump, generator, fill cap, etc.). I was also able to locate a new globe to replace the original Pyrex that got broken... It works great now.

Nothing quite like a crisp Fall evening, warm campfire, cold beer and the gentle hiss of an old Coleman lantern.
    Who controls John Gill?

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hatcreek View Post

I've got a propane model, but like this one best. It's a 1958 Model 220E that belonged to my Grandparents... They gave it to me ~1985, while I was in college.

It had started giving some problems quite a while ago, so I just kind of put it away and forgot about it. Got it out a few years back and went all through it (new pump, generator, fill cap, etc.). I was also able to locate a new globe to replace the original Pyrex that got broken... It works great now.

Nothing quite like a crisp Fall evening, warm campfire, cold beer and the gentle hiss of an old Coleman lantern.
    Have to agree 100%

20. Member
    Apparently the new ones are now Made in China. Dealbreaker right there lol. EBay has several NOS Made in USA models. Might not bother some, but I prefer having that Made in USA stamped into the metal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast