Powering the GLS10

Do I have to go directly to the battery, or can I use the factory spade plate that's in my bow? There's a power plate, if you will, with around 4-5 hot spades and 4-5 grounds for adding things like this. Its factory wired into the system to my main battery, through a breaker in the bilge area.
    2012 Stratos 189VLO

2. Member
    You can and most likely will work if you have a good battery, wiring, and connections. It’s not “dedicated” but may work.
    Rad Brewer

Sounds like you have a buss bar at the bow. Thats a good thing! Check the size wire connected to the buss. 10 gauge should be enough. Some have started using 8 gauge. Check your voltage at the battery and then at the bow. Voltage should be pretty close to the same. If it is your good to go.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ifishinxs View Post
    Sounds like you have a buss bar at the bow. Thats a good thing! Check the size wire connected to the buss. 10 gauge should be enough. Some have started using 8 gauge. Check your voltage at the battery and then at the bow. Voltage should be pretty close to the same. If it is your good to go.
    Sorry to hijack, but was wondering what would happen if u accidentally hooked up garmin graph or black box backwards or reverse polarity? Would it not just turn on or fry something inside?

5. Member
    Thats great guys...thank you
    I'll do a voltage drop check first.

Quote Originally Posted by Jwags13 View Post
    Sorry to hijack, but was wondering what would happen if u accidentally hooked up garmin graph or black box backwards or reverse polarity? Would it not just turn on or fry something inside?
    You would toast the inline fuse.
    2024 Phoenix 818, Mercury 175 (3B414035) Trick Steps, 3 Garmin 106 SV,s, LVS 34. BoatEFX dual bow mount. Ionic 12V 125AH, 2 12V 100 ah LiTime’s for the TM. Minn Kota 345 PCL charger,

The buss bar in older boats are typically fed with around 14-12gauge wire so it probably won’t be enough
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

Sure you can do it, but most factory wire harnesses are smaller gauge wire and will cause voltage drop as you add higher draw components like a GLS10 box. Lower voltage/voltage drop can decrease your image quality.

If you increased your wiring harness gage diameter to 10 gauge you are probably going to be just fine. 8 gauge would be even better.