Thread: LTB Jig Rod

LTB Jig Rod

Hey guys,

I'm thinking about changing up my Jig setup. Currently using a second gen St Croix Legend Tournament 7'1 MH/F (Jig and Baits) for pitching 7/16 and 9/16 jigs. I prefer a slightly longer rod and was thinking about purchasing a new 7'3 MH/F or 7'5 MH/F LTB. Does anyone have any experience with these rods? Is there any other rod in the new St Croix LTB line that I should be considering?
    Last edited by Car_nut15; 03-29-2023 at 03:04 PM.

2. Member
    I have the LTB 7’1” mhxf swim jig finesse and it is one sweet bitsy bug rod. I had the model you have also and it’s very nice. Just got the LTB 7’3” mhf workhorse but haven’t been on the water with it yet. First impressions are it’s a true medium heavy like the older legends. It balances nicely with a Tatula SV and is light. I also have the Victory 7’3” HXF, which is also available in LTB. I love this rod for jigs in cover. It will throw a 1/4oz and 3/4oz jig with the same precision. It light, 4.3oz, and again balances nicely. No issues with sensitivity.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r83srock View Post
    I have the LTB 7’1” mhxf swim jig finesse and it is one sweet bitsy bug rod. I had the model you have also and it’s very nice. Just got the LTB 7’3” mhf workhorse but haven’t been on the water with it yet. First impressions are it’s a true medium heavy like the older legends. It balances nicely with a Tatula SV and is light. I also have the Victory 7’3” HXF, which is also available in LTB. I love this rod for jigs in cover. It will throw a 1/4oz and 3/4oz jig with the same precision. It light, 4.3oz, and again balances nicely. No issues with sensitivity.
    That Victory is light! Did you happen to get a weight on the 7'3 LTB? I'm glad to hear it balances well with a Tatula SV as that is what I plan to put on it. One thing I hate about the previous generation LTB's is the poor balance and I'm hoping the new one is better balanced.

I don’t have the exact model you are considering, but have owned several generations of LTB rods and they are only getting better with time (with balance that you speak of).

my last two were both spinnerbait rods (sniper and sweeper) balanced very well.

just bought the 7’11” LTB today and can’t wait to see how much the latest generation has improved. Have heard only good things
    *BRIAN CASKEY*
    '00 Tracker ProTeam 185 Special Edition
    '99 75 hp Merc ELPTO (ser. 0G837626)
    Minn Kota Terrova 80 w/Ipilot
    Helix 10 Sonar/GPS / bow 360 / RC-1
    Helix 7 CHIRP MSI GPS G3
    STRICTLY Shimano and St. Croix!!!!

5. Member
    I did weigh the LTB 7’3” mh and I believe it was 4.3 or 4.4 oz. Ironically the Victory’s are a tad lighter than even the new ltb in comparable models. I think the 7’3” mh Victory is right around 4.0 oz. I can’t remember. I had one and the reel seat had an issue and I replaced it with the 7’3” HXF. The HXF victory is like a mag medium heavy, and it will load up nice with a fish on. I’d imagine the LTB version is close to the same, but I can’t say for sure.

Think of the 73Hxf as St Croixs Loomis 873.
    0G886873 Mercury Serial Number
    2000 Bass Cat Pantera III with 200 Merc

7. Member
    Either or will work 7’3 MH or 7’3HXF for the techniques that you need it for.

8. Member
    I ended up purchasing the 7'3 mh/f LTB. I'm trying a Daiwa Tatula SV 70 on it as I like the smaller size. The rod does still feel a little tip heavy but nice overall. I'm looking forward to trying it out.