Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Another Glock Thread

I currently have a 19 Gen5, I sold a 17 and 26 Gen 5 to fund the purchase of a Springfield Operator 1911. I've looked at the red dot optic trend as a fad but thinking I want to give it a try with with a Glock MOS model however I'm not against buying a $499 Gen3 or Gen4 and having the slide milled with since the $620 MOS Gen5 prices are there similar having a Gen3 or 4 milled (I kind of dig the Gen3 since my first was a 19 Gen3 which was unfortunately stolen back in 2021).

Mo my question, which we you go for and why?

Glock 17 awesome weapon
    Glock 21 always wanted one but a little bigger (not much vs the 17), I have a 45 1911
    Glock 45 I like the full size grip and shorter slide, people say it's a very good shooting gun the way the full grip and shorter slide work together to give a different shooting experience but I've never shot one.
    Glock 19 I have one and like it but thinking if I like the optics and want other guns with them the 19 could be had anytime.

So 17 because I like a full size duty weapon and with the optic and a Surefire x300 should make a good night stand gun.
    21 same as the 17 but 45 will be a little more $$ to shoot often
    45 seems to be the rage these days and I like the full size grip and shorter slide

47 on the fence but that will probably come another day.

My order: 21 because it's cool and I've always wanted one
    17 because they're awesome
    45 because I've never tried one but people rave
    about its handling and shooting characteristics

Thanks for any responses.

2. Member
    I would go with the 21 but I have large hands and find it easier to handload 45 acp. The 21 is a pussycat to shoot but try one before you buy because the grip is quite large. Ever understood the long frame short slide thing. I would think the other way around would be more beneficial.

BTW imo red dots on pistols are way overrated and we are being duped by marketing to sell more stuff. They are ok on a gaming gun but not for serious work.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    I would go with the 21 but I have large hands and find it easier to handload 45 acp. The 21 is a pussycat to shoot but try one before you buy because the grip is quite large. Ever understood the long frame short slide thing. I would think the other way around would be more beneficial.

BTW imo red dots on pistols are way overrated and we are being duped by marketing to sell more stuff. They are ok on a gaming gun but not for serious work.
    The videos I see on the 45 and 19x the reviewers rave about the unique was it shoots because of the setup. I loved my 17 and have always wanted the 21 especially now it is in Gen5 MOS, have a 19 but can always get another one of those, the 45 just has peaked my interest based on the videos where people act like it's the perfect weapon. The 47 is a 17 but allows you to put a 19 slide on the 17 frame or 19 frame on a 17 slide. I have no interest in that weapon at the moment.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post

I have large hands. From my understanding of the 21 once the Gen3 SF was released the Gen4 and Gen5 are the short frame which is less material in the circumference of the grip area where the web of you hand meets.

5. Member

I like the G19. Bought one when they first were introduced in the US and put many thousands of rounds through it. It fits me and I shoot it well. Currently have two Gen 5 pistols, one standard and one MOS. The MOS will wear a Holosun 507 once I buy another (stole the one off the Glock for a Sig 10mm). It will be more of a range gun than carry piece. Still not sold on optics on a carry gun.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

7. Member
    The latest models do have an sf size grip but it is still a big MF not suited for everyone.

I'd go 45. That one intrigues me. Had a trade lined up for one, but come to find out the guy didn't even have it.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    I like the G19. Bought one when they first were introduced in the US and put many thousands of rounds through it. It fits me and I shoot it well. Currently have two Gen 5 pistols, one standard and one MOS. The MOS will wear a Holosun 507 once I buy another (stole the one off the Glock for a Sig 10mm). It will be more of a range gun than carry piece. Still not sold on optics on a carry gun.
    The optic thing will definitely not be on any carry weapon for me unless I get into it and something changes my mind. Just considering it for a night stand and fun range gun as well as to just see what it's all about.

10. Member
    I am a hardcore ANTI Glock guy. I have shot and owned several but I prefer my Sigs. That being said, I bought and kept a G45. It is not hype that shooting them is a different experience. Swapped the sights out and added an Olight mini Baldr and it is definitely a keeper. My only regret is I didn't get the MOS version .....getting old guy eyes.
    5 Short of a limit

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    I am a hardcore ANTI Glock guy. I have shot and owned several but I prefer my Sigs. That being said, I bought and kept a G45. It is not hype that shooting them is a different experience. Swapped the sights out and added an Olight mini Baldr and it is definitely a keeper. My only regret is I didn't get the MOS version .....getting old guy eyes.
    How would you compare it to the 19 and 17? I've read nothing but good things about the 45, definitely a couple give and takes between the two but general consensus is that the 45 combines the best of the two into one.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 03-31-2023 at 08:33 AM.

12. Member
    It is the combination of the 2 that makes it good. Enough grip to fit most hands and a slide length that you can site with easily and still fit into an IWB holster.....and for some reason I don't notice the Glock grip angle as much....even though I know it is the same.
    5 Short of a limit

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EJmagnum186-NH View Post
    It is the combination of the 2 that makes it good. Enough grip to fit most hands and a slide length that you can site with easily and still fit into an IWB holster.....and for some reason I don't notice the Glock grip angle as much....even though I know it is the same.
    How about the shooting characteristics between 17, 19, and 45?

14. Member
    Did this yesterday 17 Gen 5 MOS. Trijicon RMR RM06 3.35 MOA is in the mail. I added a Surefire X300U-A Ultra 1,000 lumens,Trijicon suppressor height tritium sights, Wilson Combat flat face trigger, Wilson Combat 3.5# connector, two sets of OEM Glock +2 magazine extensions, extended slide stop, extended slide lock, and polished every moving part with Mother's Mag Wheel polish for a smooth mirror shine. Was totally against the whole red dot optic trend but decided to give it a try, who knows my G19 may get the same treatment but I'd really like to do a G21 but since all my mags and ammo, other than my Springfield 1911 Operator, are 9mm I figured I'd just start there. Pictures to come when the RMR gets slapped on.
    16808051480524488190375871887436.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Cestratton; 04-06-2023 at 01:26 PM.

I never had a G19 but have had the G17 and G45 and I think the G45 is the way to go. It balances so much better in the hand than the G17 with the shorter barrel.
    2018 G3 Sportsman 17 90 SHO

16. Member
    Got the g17 and RMR all put together, now it's time to go sight her in and see what the red dot thing is all about.

20230430_132113.jpg

My nightstand gun is a glock 22 (.40 cal) with 5 round mags.

So, how’s the RMR? After I started using a red dot a couple of years ago I’m a fan of them. I still have a couple of pistols with just iron sights but much prefer an optic.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    So, how’s the RMR? After I started using a red dot a couple of years ago I’m a fan of them. I still have a couple of pistols with just iron sights but much prefer an optic.
    Love it!! At first I didn't want to go down the road of a red dot as I considered it a fad but I'm glad I decided to try it out. Finally got the chance to take it to the range this past Friday to sight it in an she's a tack driver now, where that dot sits is where the bullet hits. I spend a few minutes each day practicing draws because at first I was having to search for the dot but now I can acquire it right off the bat, my sights are suppressor height so they co-witness with the RMR and I can still use the iron sights with the RMR turned off. Mine is the Type 2 3.25 MOA version that allows you to go between the automatic brightness or the manual brightness adjustment.
    Last edited by Cestratton; 06-13-2023 at 10:44 AM.

20. Member
    After a fiasco trying to get a Gen 5 g21 due it being "lost" by UPS, my FFL had a Gen 4 21 in stock stock so I grabbed her. That girl is THICK, but I like her!!! The recoil is unique in that it gently pushes you backwards. I did a sort of quick mag dump and after a quick 13 rounds of 45 acp I noticed that I was leaning backwards but she was very flat and the sights barely left the POA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast