Thread: Fuel additives

Fuel additives

I have several friends with 250 pro xs four strokes and Im about to have one, they all tell me they do not run any kind of additive in their fuel. Im thinking about doing the same thing I ran all the additives in my 2 strokes and could keep powerheads from blowing, just wonder what everyone thinks ?

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
    I have several friends with 250 pro xs four strokes and Im about to have one, they all tell me they do not run any kind of additive in their fuel. Im thinking about doing the same thing I ran all the additives in my 2 strokes and could keep powerheads from blowing, just wonder what everyone thinks ?
    I think you will get all kinds of answers, just like opinions on oil. I usually run 87 non-ethanol fuel. It is not "Top Tier" certified fuel, which Don recommends as one of the top criterea. Top Tier fuel usually has a better additive package than non Top Tier fuel for automobiles. So I have always run "Don's coctail" and use 1 oz. each of Quickare and Quickleen for each 5 gallons of gas. My 300R is slightly over 3 years old and 130 hours and so far no injector or fuel related issues. Would the same thing have occurred if I did not use them? No way to be sure, but for me it is good peace of mind for the relatively low cost. I do have direct experience with the effects of E10 on small engines when the fuel sat too long and have cleaned and replaced several carburators on small engines. I now use non ethanol and "Don's coctail" even on my small engines.
    2020 Checkmate 2400 Pulsare
    2019 Mercury 300R Serial# 1E080852
    1.75 TorqueMaster
    25 Bravo FS / 24 ProMax

3. Member
    Im not sure what Don means by top tier fuel or where a person would get it, we have blown five 2 strokes and I blame it on bad gas

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Farmerman View Post
    Im not sure what Don means by top tier fuel or where a person would get it, we have blown five 2 strokes and I blame it on bad gas
    I'd say you better change some of the variables if you've not already determined why you have blown five 2-strokes. Hard to imagine "bad gas" blowing 5 of them and it not being suspected earlier....

See the FAQ Section for fuel and additive recommendations.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    Well Don we ran mercury fuel additive dfi oil did yearly service and havent gotten over 200 out of a 2 stroke yet, I wish I knew also

6. Member
    Don, its not like we just blow them up because we have an extra $8000 laying around for a new powerhead

7. Member
    Top tier gas is a certification of sorts for gas a gas station sells, it has to have a certain amount of detergents/additives in it, most major brands of gas are top tier. Check this site for a list: https://www.toptiergas.com/fuel-stations/
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay