Thread: Sad situation

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sad situation

The "What it's all about" thread reminded me a of a conversation I had recently but I didn't want to hijack that one. I met this family and the dad is a pretty accomplished bass fisherman. He showed me pics of some of his trophy bass and they were impressive. He also showed me pics of his vintage Triton that's still in showroom condition. I suspect there's a bunch of rules about what you can and can't do on that one.

The dad stepped out for a minute so I made conversation with the 8 yo daughter. She was a delight. Bubbly and outgoing; not some shy wallflower with her nose stuck to an Iphone. Eventually I asked if she liked going fishing with her dad. She told me she had never been on his boat. I still can't wrap my head around that one. Is your boat so precious that you can't risk having your daughter onboard?

I've taken little kids out on my boat to catch panfish and the looks on their faces is so worth it. So what of a few Cheez Its and those dayglow marshmallow baits get ground into the carpet. Shop vac and a little scrubbing gets the most of it out.

that doesn't make sense, unless she just didn't want to go with him and turned him down when he asked her to go.

3. Member
    Or just buy a boat without carpet. Different strokes

The judgement you've drawn shows your character more than the guy you're questioning.

Basically just assuming things.
    2019 BassCat Lynx 2019 250 Pro XS 4 Stroke - 2B573410
    "Reality Is Often Disappointing."

5. Member
    maybe she doesn't like to fish or have interest?

6. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I totally agree that getting kids involved in the great outdoors is a good thing and trumps concerns about a material object. I’m also reminded that I don’t understand the whole context of another’s situation. Could be dozens of reasons in the situation above, so I’ll withhold judgment.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

7. Member
    I think you might be reaching at straws here

What if she has a fear of boats, water?

9. Member
    Been taking my daughter out since she was 10 months old. She is now almost three and I took her bluegill fishing a couple times this past fall. She has been asking when are we going in the boat. I ask her if mom can come and she said no just me and dad!!!

My wife and daughters are rarely in my boat. This is by choice on their end. I re-arrange my schedule with fishing more for their activities so I can be at softball, concerts, etc. Different strokes for different folks.
    Steve
    2006 BassCat Puma
    2006 Yamaha 250 HPDI
    Team Daiwa!

11. Member
    Been taking kids out since they were about a year old. With really young kids just don’t plan on staying out all day. My 8 year old grandson is now to a point where he will stay out as long as I want

12. Member
    I don't think either of my daughters have ever fished out of any boat of mine, they had no interest in fishing. The boys were a different story.

That said, I took the girls swimming, boating, tubing, and skiing a bunch. One (21 at the time) was home when my last boat left the driveway and started crying "there goes my childhood". But, maybe his daughter doesn't like the water? Wouldn't be the first.

My son never had a interest in fishing I took him out a few times, but it wasn't what he wanted to do. I couldn't fault him for that, just because I liked to fish doesn't mean he should. His interest was in Scuba diving not fishing.

My son loves the outdoors.....except for fishing. He just never got into it so I never forced it on him. He loves to hunt, camp, mountain bike and hike though. He loves guns and shooting as well.
    No doubt we missed out on some great times by not fishing together more but I let him be himself. I made time to do the things he enjoyed with him. I was not trying to raise an exact copy of me so I never pushed fishing on him.

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ckfishin View Post
    The judgement you've drawn shows your character more than the guy you're questioning.

Basically just assuming things.
    I spent an hour and a half with the family. I think I have a pretty clear picture of the situation. The other adult with me came to the same conclusion. I was tempted to offer to take the little girl fishing but stopped short of that. Really all you need to know about the guy is that he's a devoted Yankees fan. That about says it all.

BTW I didn't anticipate the thread going the direction it did so I didn't include a whole bunch of details. I realize some kids have no interest in fishing and I know guys with boats whose families have no interest in going fishing or to the lake for anything else. What she told me was she'd never even been on the the boat. The impression we got was that the boat is his pride and joy not intended for kids
    Last edited by BP in ME; 03-29-2023 at 11:44 AM.

16. Member
    My kids don't like to fish. I have had them in the boat or tried to lots of time and when they went I never casted and had endless patience when they had a tangle. Really wanted it to be about them, but they just never took to it.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cwenbass View Post
    My kids don't like to fish. I have had them in the boat or tried to lots of time and when they went I never casted and had endless patience when they had a tangle. Really wanted it to be about them, but they just never took to it.
    I betcha $1 if I took her to Brewer Lake for an hour of catching bluegill and crappie she'd be grinning ear to ear.

Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I spent an hour and a half with the family. I think I have a pretty clear picture of the situation. The other adult with me came to the same conclusion. I was tempted to offer to take the little girl fishing but stopped short of that. Really all you need to know about the guy is that he's a devoted Yankees fan. That about says it all.

BTW I didn't anticipate the thread going the direction it did so I didn't include a whole bunch of details. I realize some kids have no interest in fishing and I know guys with boats whose families have no interest in going fishing or to the lake for anything else. What she told me was she'd never even been on the the boat. The impression we got was that the boat is his pride and joy not intended for kids

You and your "friend" are doing such an amazing job of assuming people's situation.

Did you ask him why she's never been on his boat?

I betcha $1 if I took her to Brewer Lake for an hour of catching bluegill and crappie she'd be grinning ear to ear.

You're taking a creepy amount of interest in people's young children.

I mean that's just me making assumptions. See how that works?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast