2023 CX21 Performance Issues

Yo dudes! Thought I would post here as I'm having trouble with top-end on my new 2023 CX21 and I'd love to get some input. With the factory prop (24 fury) and hydraulic jackplate (mounted in the 2nd lowest hole of the engine mount), I was getting about 64-65mph by myself with a medium tournament load and 5600-5700 RPM wide open. Add water to the livewells and/or a full tank of gas, and that trends towards 63. Add a passenger + gas + livewells, 61-62. Performance was best if I had the hydraulic jackplate as low as it would go; pull it up any and nose/speed/rpm dropped. I took it to my mechanic and asked him to mount it on the lowest hole of the engine on the jackplate, since I didn't feel I should be getting best top end/performance with the jackplate all the way down....and we also threw on a 27 tempest (probably too much prop, wanted to try it). Top end was 65-66 with the same load and half tank of gas.

Also of note, I have 4 lithium batteries. I've been told (speculated may be a better word) that these lighter lithiums are throwing off the weight and not getting bow lift...but before I took the boat to the mechanic, I added 2 big lead acid batteries back in the compartment just for added weight (~150 lbs), and it MAYBE got me another MPH...nothing very noticeable. Doing some research, it looks like I maybe need to try a 24 tempest. Also I'd like to get another 4 blade prop for some big water trips coming up, and recommendations there are appreciated.

Thoughts?

2. Member
    I think you trying too big of prop, I would try the 23 Fury or a 24 Tempest, the tempest is best I think, it will lift the boat, you should be getting 74 or maybe more out of that rig, I have run mine 81 but it does have a 300R, they are normally 5-6 mph faster than the 250. You should run that prop at about 3 inches below pad, then play with it 1/4 inch at a time up and down to find the sweet spot.

3. Member
    You definitely need to get your RPMs up. You should be pushing 6100-6200 RPM to get best engine performance. I'm running a 23" fury 3 blade and getting 71-72mph @6100RPM. I have an Atlas JP w/ hole shot plate. Setting at 3 on the JP gauge and typically raising to 5-6. Do you have PP or Raptors? If so, have you confirmed you are not getting any drag from the brackets?
    Randy Almeida
    2023 Caymas CX21
    Mercury Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by randy_almeida View Post
    You definitely need to get your RPMs up. You should be pushing 6100-6200 RPM to get best engine performance. I'm running a 23" fury 3 blade and getting 71-72mph @6100RPM. I have an Atlas JP w/ hole shot plate. Setting at 3 on the JP gauge and typically raising to 5-6. Do you have PP or Raptors? If so, have you confirmed you are not getting any drag from the brackets?
    Thanks for getting back! Yeah I'm not getting anywhere near those RPMs. I'm running Raptors, and have not confirmed whether or not I'm getting any drag from them. Is there any easier way to figure that out than taking them off?

5. Member
    2* wedges 23 fury prop worked by Croxton 73mph loaded, full fuel and lithium bats,wedges make a difference. Tried a tempest prop Sunday and it didn’t work in my rig and went back to my fury.

6. Member
    Make sure your dealer checked out your throttle setting on a computer to make sure you are getting 100% throttle, if its not checked on computer then that may be your problem. As said above a 24 Fury is to much prop on a loaded up (heavy) boat, ask your dealer to try a 23 Fury.

The CX21 isn't going to break any speed records that's for sure. If you want max speed loaded 23 Fury is the wheel for you. If you want good performance loaded heavy then switch to a 4 blade. I run a 23 Croxton Razor XL with 2deg wedges. I'm fat and I have all lead acid/agm batts (no poles). I usually tote around 2 high schools kids and a mini bass pro tackle shop in the boat. It will go 68 (Merc 250) and I can drive and eat a sandwich if I had to (that would be dangerous and obviously I don't do that). With just my fat butt and a normal load 1/2 tank 69-70. Put a flat belly in the boat probably sneak over 70. That'll do anywhere on any lake at any time for me. Top speed is 4-6 on my Atlas hydro plate gauge.

24 tempest
    If you think you have it bad...Look Around and BE THANKFUL because Someone Always Has it Worse!!

BoatWrx Alabama Team Member - Mercury Pro Team
    2023 Caymas CX21- Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke - Garmin Force & Garmin electronics
    2011- Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Tow Toy

9. Member
    Hey Milliken you better get that thing propped right before the next tourney so you don’t get beat to the spot again! Heard you say on Mercer it wasn’t setup right. Congratulations on the win!

24 Tempest
    If you think you have it bad...Look Around and BE THANKFUL because Someone Always Has it Worse!!

BoatWrx Alabama Team Member - Mercury Pro Team
    2023 Caymas CX21- Mercury 250 ProXS 4 Stroke - Garmin Force & Garmin electronics
    2011- Ford 6.7 Powerstroke Tow Toy

Congrats on the win at Toledo Bend! Well done!!

12. Member
    Im having the same problem with my 2022 CX21. 5700 rpms max. Usually runs 62. I was told that some of the Fury props are not equal. Was told to put some 2.5 degree reverse wedges b/w engine and jackplate to create more lift and have a person in Ohio rework the prop.

I have to wonder how much performance is lost with the multiple raised graph setup on the front of boats like Ben's. That has to hinder performance significantly I would assume compared to guys like me that have a single flush mounted graph up front don't you think??