24 volt lithium recs for Ultrex: 1 or 2 batteries?

I’m looking to upgrade from my crappy 12 volt lead acid “national brand” batteries to lithiums for my 24 volt Ultrex. I’ve had 5 bad batteries in 2 years and need upgrading. I’ve already upgraded my electronics battery to a 125 am lithium & I’m super happy. So… I would prefer a single 24 volt lithium but see mostly 50-60 ah options and not sure one alone would work? I was hoping there was a 100ah 24 volt battery but, don’t see any. Opinions please! Would be buying from BBC sponsor. Thanks!

2. Member
    What size lead batteries were you using? Sounds like to run them down a lot, thus the shortened life of them.

I would say 2x100ah Ionics would be a good choice, but I am not an impartial advisor as I have Ionics, love them, and cannot say enough good things about dealing with them and Drewcraft.

But to keep it simple, if you were running group 29/31 batteries, 100ah be the goal (2x100ah 12volt), if you were running group 27 batteries before then maybe 50ah total will work. Buy once and don't worry again is kinda how I went about it, thus I ended up with 100ah 12-volt trolling motor batteries.

3. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Can go with a single 24 volt 60 ah battery w a run and gun charger . Happy go over options with you. You don't see a 24 volt 100 ah due to the shear case size it would have to be. It could be smaller with prismatic cells but who wants them . Lol
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 03-29-2023 at 06:56 PM.

4. BBC SPONSOR
    Check out our 24v-60Ah, great BBC Discounts going on now

If you need any help with the system give me a call or shoot me a PM

205-965-8436

Bill

5. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    prismatic cell battery...

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KandKKustomz View Post
    Can go with a single 24 volt 60 ah battery w a run and gun charger . Happy go over options with you. You don't see a 24 volt 100 ah due to the shear case size it would have to be. It could be smaller with prismatic cells but who wants them . Lol
    Apparently allot of folks!

7. Member
    prismatic cell battery...
    The link referred to a Monster Marine battery which I think uses Cylindrical cells....

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrh_67 View Post
    The link referred to a Monster Marine battery which I think uses Cylindrical cells....

yep, from their website.

Monster Marine Lithium Batteries are very safe. We use Lithium Iron Phosphate (LiFePO4) cylindrical cells for their inherent safety, we also have the most advanced BMS in Lithium Batteries. LiFePO4 does not have thermal runaway, and they do not explode

9. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Screenshot_20230331_025640_Gallery.jpg
    Sure looks like a Prismatic cell battery to me ...

10. Member
    Screenshot_20230331_025640_Gallery.jpg
    Sure looks like a Prismatic cell battery to me ...

I don’t know what it is, but how old is that picture? I went through his FB, to see the story on it and nothing is there, not even the picture. It looks like that’s the shipping box, wonder if the battery got smashed during transport? Since you have the picture, you probably have the story too?

I guess one could sue them for false advertising, I don’t know. I suppose it might depend on how old that picture is. I tried to google the pic/story and came up with nothing on it.

Do you think I should email them this thread, with your picture and see what they say about it? I don’t want people to be buying something that they aren’t really selling.
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 03-31-2023 at 06:40 AM.

11. Member
    I bought a 24v Ultrex last May and bought a 50 amp 24v Dakota LiFe battery. I have only used it one season but I never ran it down in a day and I use the Spotlock ALOT.

12. Member
    Sylvanboat,

What charger are you using with the 24v battery?

100 amp 24 volt with great reviews I am considering

CHINS LiFePO4 Battery 24V 100Ah Lithium Battery - Built-in 100A BMS, 2000+ Cycles, Perfect for RV, Home Storage and Off-Grid https://a.co/d/g4WnUMN

14. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    I don’t know what it is, but how old is that picture? I went through his FB, to see the story on it and nothing is there, not even the picture. It looks like that’s the shipping box, wonder if the battery got smashed during transport? Since you have the picture, you probably have the story too?

I guess one could sue them for false advertising, I don’t know. I suppose it might depend on how old that picture is. I tried to google the pic/story and came up with nothing on it.

Do you think I should email them this thread, with your picture and see what they say about it? I don’t want people to be buying something that they aren’t really selling.
    Apparently the picture was posted month or 2 ago its new , and was quickly taken off after the customer was contacted by monster. It was screen shotted by a few then shared to me ive had it since shortly after it was posted . Not sure if he was paid off , begged or what to remove. Unfortunately it's not smashed lol not sure what happened not saying not safe I was mearly showing that those are prismatic cells in a monster case. Most companies that you see with odd Ah in a small case are doing it with prismatic cells . Even a 24 volt 80 ah would have to be a 5d case size (bigger then a 31 ) with cylindrical cells.. feel free to share it with who you want. I'm mearly sharing a photo that was posted online im not the original poster. Nothing illegal bout that. Well maybe if you were Trump they could deem it illegal lol. I'm sure Andy can confirm what cells are really in a monster. Maybe some have cylindrical some have prismatic . There are companies that have both especially if they offer heated versions as you cant effectively heat a cylindrical cell battery. Maybe there Standard ah in case sizes (24 volt 60 ah) 36 volt 40 ah they use cylindrical and when there trying to squeeze larger ah and keep it in a standard case they go prismatic. What's odd is that shows it's a 12 volt 100 ah.. Just Standard 31 case size yet clearly shows prismatic cells maybe heated 100? Don't know there lineup. Maybe the cylindrical statement was just a simple typo and they ment prismatic.
    Last edited by KandKKustomz; 03-31-2023 at 09:26 AM.

15. Member
    Maybe we can get the “Boss of Eufala” to be our lawyer.

16. BBC SPONSOR/ Shallow Water Anchors Moderator
    Maybe we can get the “Boss of Eufala” to be our lawyer.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by HookedAgain! View Post
    Sylvanboat,

What charger are you using with the 24v battery?
    Dakota furnished a charger with the battery. You can see it on their website. It has worked fine so far.

18. Member

I know the story, they were contacted by monster asking what happened because monster got the battery back to analyze what happened. Monster said they never got a clear story from the owner or his install shop. The “black stuff” you see is black Eva foam that surrounds the cells that got melted when the gas escaped from the cells in the battery (that gas is extremely hot well enough to melt plastic but there was no flames or fire (lifepo4) chemistry. Monster said they initially thought maybe they accidentally hooked a 36v charger to it and maybe the bms failed to prevent the high voltage from coming in but they went and tested the same model batteries of that production cycle by putting 36v chargers on 12v batteries and every computer board did its job and stopped the high voltage. Another conclusion they had was maybe a screw got drilled into and punctured a cell (which explains the gas escaping and melting the case). Or it was tampered with purposely which resulted in why the install shop quickly removed the post and picture from social media

Benn running monster marine lithium for 7 years in my boats and never had an issue and will continue to run them. The whole story with that battery doesn’t add up with the install shop who was messing with it. You can contact monster as well if you’d like