Mercury 9.9hp efi conversion to 15hp

Can a 2022 Mercury 9.9hp efi be converted or altered to be a 15hp ?
    If so what has to be done to it ?
    I can't seem find anything on the internet for the 9.9 efi's. Only the carbureted ones.

2. Member
    likely not on efi engines might check in 4strk forum also 3 more down list
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    It seems that there is an air flow restrictor in the intake and it has to be removed.
    And the 9.9hp ECU needs swapped for the 15hp one.
    But I can't find anyone that has done it or knows if it can be done.

4. Member
    yes but then youd have to get 15 hp PCM because 9 wouldnt be mapped for extra air flow
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    There aren't any PCM's listed in the Mercury on-line parts book.
    Only the ECU's for the different horsepower ratings.
    There is no reference to a PCM in the service manual. If there is I couldn't find it.
    Last edited by Stumblebum; 03-29-2023 at 02:34 PM.

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    ECU and PCM are the same device.

Your engine belongs in the 4-stroke forum (moving post for your benefit).

What you are proposing is illegal, and should not be done.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    In addition to what's already been said, according to my manual, removing the restrictor will result in the engine going into Guardian mode and the RPMs will be limited. Look in the engine guardian section of your manual.
    2015 Tracker Targa V18 150 4-Stroke 2B142247 9.9 EFI Pro Kicker 1R159535
    2001 MasterCraft Maristar 210 V-Drive, LTR 330 HP

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    ECU and PCM are the same device.

Your engine belongs in the 4-stroke forum (moving post for your benefit).

What you are proposing is illegal, and should not be done.
    Thanks for moving the thread and the clarification on a ecu and pcm.
    I wasn't aware that it is illegal to modify an outboard motor's horsepower.
    I am aware that the software in the ecu's is copyrighted and therefore illegal to alter it.
    Why would changing the ecu be illegal ?
    I had planned on changing the cowl decals if I did the mod.
    I know of three different individuals who successfully did the mod. They actually went from 9.9 to to 20hp.
    One was a Mercury and the other two were Tohatsu's. All three were EFI's.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JS! View Post
    In addition to what's already been said, according to my manual, removing the restrictor will result in the engine going into Guardian mode and the RPMs will be limited. Look in the engine guardian section of your manual.

I did read about no restrictor and Guardian Mode.
    It is just a guess on my part, but some people may think that removing the restrictor without changing the ecu is all that needs to be done to increase the hp.
    From what I have read, each horsepower motor has a specific size restrictor matched to the ecu.
    Except the 20 hp. It has none.
    I found one online vendor that sells new OEM ecu's and they include a new restrictor plate with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    It seems that there is an air flow restrictor in the intake and it has to be removed.
    And the 9.9hp ECU needs swapped for the 15hp one.
    But I can't find anyone that has done it or knows if it can be done.
    I was going to do this to a 15 and up it to a 20. Took out the flow restrictor and it ran nice until throttled up. Needed the ecu and didnt think it was worth it. Put the restrictor back in.

11. Member
    Thanks for sharing your experience, bloodman.
    I'm not sure that I am going to do the modification due to the cost of it.
    Nearly $1000.00 for the ecu, and a new prop would probably be needed to get the benefit of the increased horsepower.
    I rarely ever use the kicker for trolling like I used to. It is my back-up motor in case my 150 Optimax fails for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Stumblebum View Post
    Thanks for sharing your experience, bloodman.
    I'm not sure that I am going to do the modification due to the cost of it.
    Nearly $1000.00 for the ecu, and a new prop would probably be needed to get the benefit of the increased horsepower.
    I rarely ever use the kicker for trolling like I used to. It is my back-up motor in case my 150 Optimax fails for some reason.
    Its not worth it. Just trade for a higher horsepower. JMO

13. Member
    I thought about trading it in.
    That would require all the hassle of negotiating a deal. Prolly be more money than I want to spend.
    I could do the modifications to my 9.9 in less than two hours.

14. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    It is illegal because it alters both the emissions and HP profiles of the engine (which is an EPA rated engine).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Boatjohn75: I realize that you very much want to share with folks that you successfully modified your engine. Your post does not conform to the Forum Guidelines, and twice (2 times) now it has been deleted.

We DO NOT encourage modification of EPA rated engines in these forums, as those actions a violation of law, potentially subject to both civil and criminal penalties.

A very brief synopsis (including potential fines) are covered here: https://www.epa.gov/enforcement/clea...se-resolutions