Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    My mother was a teacher for 28 years, respected and admired by her peers and parents alike, with the professional accolades to match. Many of her students became teachers also, citing her as the reason they did. (She tells them "I'm so sorry!")
    However, she left in the 2000's, well before her tenure might be done.

The kids had gone to complete and utter sh*t.

2. Member
    Your ass gotta trip to see the Principal for not standing for the pledge or the anthem unless you had permission not to stand...id peel my kids asses if they pulled that crap
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

3. Member
    So we want and have freedom, but at 7:30 stand and recite this verse.

Whats the difference between respecting the flag and being told what to do? I have a couple guys at work that are hard core patriots, but they don’t take down their flags at night or when it rains. I don’t understand the all or nothing of it. Seems a little not freedom like to me.

fwiw I agree with the OP that it’s all too much. I personally think it should be a choice, but if you make the choice not to then you should be quiet and respectful to those who choose to.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post

Whats the difference between respecting the flag and being told what to do? I have a couple guys at work that are hard core patriots, but they don’t take down their flags at night or when it rains. I don’t understand the all or nothing of it. Seems a little not freedom like to me.

fwiw I agree with the OP that it’s all too much. I personally think it should be a choice, but if you make the choice not to then you should be quiet and respectful to those who choose to.
    Is the flag lit at night?
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

5. Member

Its up the school imo...make em all stand or dont...schools have rules that need to be followed...
    2020 Skeeter ZX150

6. Proud American Union local16's Avatar
    The united Brotherhood of Carpenters local here sponsors a spot on the morning news from a different classroom saying the Pledge of Allegiance. Alive and well here..if I’d have disrespected the flag at school when young and my dad found out, I’d have paid dearly..

Dale Sinclair original

7. Team Catfish Original hatcreek's Avatar
    1998 - 70% believed patriotism was very important

2023 - 38% believe the same

POLL: Americans Abandon Core Values -- Patriotism, Religion, Hard Work Less Important (cf.org)

Is it any wonder we are where we are
    Who controls John Gill?

8. Member
    I remember going to military school for high school and becoming a teacher after I graduated from college. It was so different from the discipline we had in military school. If you acted up there were demerits which required that for each demerit you would walk an hour of Bull ring with a 45 sack of sand in your back pack and a Springfield rifle. Public school was a shock for me. I realized that we could not effectively discipline the kids. No consequences for bad behavior. I remember the first time I took the kid to the office that the kid was allowed to fill out a form telling his side of the story. Then and there I decided I would get out of teaching. It was the best decision of my life.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    Your ass gotta trip to see the Principal for not standing for the pledge or the anthem unless you had permission not to stand...id peel my kids asses if they pulled that crap
    It’s been near 20 years since I was in a K-12 classroom, but at that time if I sent someone to the office I had to send a lesson plan along with them. It just made a lot of extra work for the teacher. Maybe they did it because I was new then? Either way I only made it one year in K-12 before taking a job with the DOD teaching active duty military folks for the next 14. I may have had two parents show up for my parent teacher meetings in that year. I felt like a very low paid day care worker.

I am not sure how anyone can stand a career like that? But, I salute those that stick with it!

Agreed, I respect our flag etc, but our freedom allows people to not do so. If you want people to be forced to stand and respect the flag, there are plenty of countries that will force you to do so. Respect other people's freedom to show their feelings and you can show yours. Too many people only want people to have the freedoms they agree with and if you have opposing viewpoints than you don't deserve your freedom.

Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I remember the first time I took the kid to the office that the kid was allowed to fill out a form telling his side of the story. Then and there I decided I would get out of teaching. It was the best decision of my life.
    I can't count the number of times I've written discipline referrals on students and it felt like I was the one on trial by the administration. You made a very wise decision!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by n2ratfishin View Post
    That’s a parent problem. Thanks for trying to teach.
    What if they dont have parents?

Quote Originally Posted by ColdSVT View Post
    Is the flag lit at night?
    As long as your flag is flown properly at night...Lit and flown at correct staff (mast) they are OK to do so.
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

play this for them

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    It all started when they took corporal punishment out of the schools.
    Yep, without fear of your teacher there is no respect either.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnD. View Post
    It all started when they took corporal punishment out of the schools.
    Bigger impact is when the parents stopped caring about their child's education and started fighting the teachers instead of working with them. It's no longer the child's fault that they are failing a class, it's the teacher's fault.

17. Member
    Was watching FOX News here in Florida yesterday morning and they were interviewing college students on spring break on the beach. They ask various questions and about 50% got them correct. But one really stood out when they asked a COLLEGE girl from Alabama who was the President of the United States. She said she had no idea who it was. When I was in 3rd grade I knew who the President was.

God help us.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Yep, without fear of your teacher there is no respect either.
    Discipline is the highest form of love. I always tell my students to discipline themselves so that others don't have to.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireball View Post
    Was watching FOX News here in Florida yesterday morning and they were interviewing college students on spring break on the beach. They ask various questions and about 50% got them correct. But one really stood out when they asked a COLLEGE girl from Alabama who was the President of the United States. She said she had no idea who it was. When I was in 3rd grade I knew who the President was.

God help us.
    She might be smarter than you think! May have been a jab at the mess we are in currently?!?

Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    All I have to say is the 60s became the root of the issue..............
    sadly agree to a point, moral behavior has been in decline for a long time imo, it accelerated faster after that generation I believe.
    Fart proudly. Author, Benjamin Franklin.

1998 SKEETER ZX 202-C
    150 V-Max TRP
    MinnKota Ultrex-112. All paid with cash of course!

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast