Question Trailering a Cougar...

Hi folks...hate to ask this here, but I'm afraid if I ask under 'trucks and trailering' I'll get all sorts of answers related to every other brand of boat/trailer.

We recently acquired a 2022 Cougar and wondering how best to set up the trailer brake in a Ford...never used that, either, as I've not had the truck long.

Assuming the BC Trailer uses the electronic braking of the truck to activate the brakes, should I select the 'electric over hydraulic' setting or the default of 'other, electric...' braking? Just not sure what type of brakes these really are. Also, any suggestion on which gain setting to use would be great. Dealer 'guessed' at 2 in the city or 3 if in the mountains, but what's a better place to start?

Thanks!

Your BCB trailer has surge brakes, not hooked up to the electric brake system in the truck. The pressure on the trailer ball when you slow increases the pressure on the trailer brakes. Look up "surge brakes" and you should find a better explanation

3. Member
    boats always use hydraulic brakes. Basically hook up and play
    Last edited by mactlman; 03-28-2023 at 06:56 PM.
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

4. Member
    As noted above, surge brakes, not electric.

5. Member
    Thanks folks...good to know!

6. Member
    You will also need a 7 pin to 5 flat connection for the brakes to work.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger185 View Post
    You will also need a 7 pin to 5 flat connection for the brakes to work.
    Dont need any connector for the brakes to work (surge brakes) you should have the blue wire in the connect to the backup light circuit on the tow vehicle to lockout the brakes when backing up. Dont bother with adaptors, just install a 7 wire RV cable and be done with it.
    Thank You Leon Pugh