Buying Used Solix, and trying to understand SI techno?

Hello all. I searched up a bit but am confused. I am looking to buy a Solix unit (12") that is a gen 1 from a gentleman, and will be using it mostly for mapping but also want to make sure we are doing quality side imaging with it. We will use a Garmin live scope setup on the front. I have been using a helix 7 on a previous boat for SI. Not sure the generation. Anyway, I was looking into trying to discern if MEGA should be a deal killer for me, and someone has mentioned that all Solix units are MEGA. Looking at the back there is no MSI on it, just SI. We are on a bit of a budget so thats the issue here. AND, in the HS tournaments we use this other kids boat. I think he has Mega on a Solix unit. I am not sure they have looked at SI much in either practice or tournament days. So here are my questions.

1. Are ALL Solix units Mega?
    2. if it is not Mega, am I headed down a bad path on this?

I see it this way. I am not a good enough golfer to know the difference between golf balls. It just need to be round, and moderately scuff free. Am I going to be picking nits over technology I am not sophisticated enough to use?

The first generation Side Imaging unit has the MEGA (1000 kHz) Imaging frequency and 83/200 kHz for 2D sonar.

The second generation Side Imaging unit has the MEGA Imaging frequency and HW CHIRP for 2D sonar and more power (+).
    The third generation is only available as a SI model and has the same frequencies as the second generation and even more power (+).

The first generation unit will run the MEGA LIVE and will not run MEGA 360.
    The second and third generation will run both.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

3. Member
    Thanks Wayne. Very helpful. So I did read a review that talked about having the ability to actually see fish with Mega vs not seeing them without mega. Is that initial mega worth the buy in that regard, or am I going to be missing some huge technology in that regard.

4. USAF and DOD retired Phoenix Jim's Avatar
    I have a gen 1 solix and absolutely zero image quality issues.
    2018 Phoenix 920 Pro XP

Quote Originally Posted by RMabus View Post
    Thanks Wayne. Very helpful. So I did read a review that talked about having the ability to actually see fish with Mega vs not seeing them without mega. Is that initial mega worth the buy in that regard, or am I going to be missing some huge technology in that regard.
    You can see fish with any of the three Imaging frequencies with any of the three generations.

The ONIX was the version that SOLIX replaced and it did not have the MEGA frequency and no issue seeing fish.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

Recreational Side Imaging has been around since 2006, it was not until 2017 that the MEGA frequency was added.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL