Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    And it never will reach those numbers again if so called "tournamentfans" don't stop trying to tear every effort BASS and BPT makes to get it back there again. So many are quick to bash either one.

The best numbers since 2009 should be a positive right? It's increased significantly tge past 3 years. Should everyone just trash that or what? Shouldn't they as organizations and us as fans be excited by the resurgence?

Both platforms deliver hours upon hours of free coverage through different outlets, they offer 100% fan and friendly championship events where you leave with an incredible amount of free swag plus a chance to interact with their favorite anglers. What other soort/league does that?

We as fans are spoiled and we are our own worst enemies.
    So we should finesse TV rating numbers to make the sport seem bigger than it actually is?

I understand your frustrations, and bass anglers might be amongst the whiniest groups on the planet . I certainly enjoy that we have multiple leagues that we can pull up anytime we are bored at work haha.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

2. Member
    Kudos to BASS for publishing Nielsen ratings. To my knowledge, MLF has never done the same and instead uses their own homegrown, questionable-at-best television metrics.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    So we should finesse TV rating numbers to make the sport seem bigger than it actually is?

I understand your frustrations, and bass anglers might be amongst the whiniest groups on the planet . I certainly enjoy that we have multiple leagues that we can pull up anytime we are bored at work haha.

You have no proof either league finesse their TV numbers though.its kind of like people assuming either league makes money hand over fist.

I'm no financial guru but I know enough that if professional bass tournament fishing leagues were cash cows we would be seeing several more pop up.

4. Member
    Their ratings could have been worse. It could have aired on CNN.
    Last edited by TritonJT; 03-29-2023 at 08:29 PM.

5. Member
    You have no proof either league finesse their TV numbers though.its kind of like people assuming either league makes money hand over fist.

I'm no financial guru but I know enough that if professional bass tournament fishing leagues were cash cows we would be seeing several more pop up.
    Not finesse meaning making numbers up, finessing meaning ​”4.5 million viewers”​across 2 days on FS1 and fox.

​Or how MLF pushes the strange “total minutes watched” metric.

I totally understand it’s those leagues job to draw interest from advertisers and try to convince advertising they have tons of people watching. Also understand that bass fishing leagues certainly aren’t a cash grab (I mean espn couldn’t make it work)

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Quillback View Post
    Have not even started the northern swing yet either. You Canuck fans have to be licking your chops. This could be remembered as the year of the Canadians, well for fishing at least, you folks have lost your NHL dominance.
    Our teams suck, but our players are still captaining a bunch of cup wins!

That’s not relative whatsoever. I guess the MLB, NFL, and NBA aren’t doing too well because there aren’t dozens of other leagues popping up?
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AMSDJS View Post
    This comparison always comes up and it's ridiculous. I used to golf a LOT until my dad passed. Have you seen the commercials during the Masters? Do you seriously think any endemic golf sponsor would market towards a client (i.e. fan) base that loves one of its pros dropping drawers during say the 17th hole at Augusta? Mercedes, Rolex, investment firms are targeting the "big dogs", the ones with tons of liquid assets to spend on country club memberships and hoity-toity dinner parties. Bass fishing will always be a niche sport. However, I used to think fly fishermen (which I also dabble in at times) were snobbish with their Sage rods and Orvis gear. Now look at where G Loomis and Simms have marketed their wares to? So now you have gullible (IMO) bass fishermen paying these ridiculous prices for rods, reels, rain gear, boats, tackle...the result of "growing the sport". Five grand for a trolling motor? Are you serious? JMHO
    You mean like this?

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    That’s not relative whatsoever. I guess the MLB, NFL, and NBA aren’t doing too well because there aren’t dozens of other leagues popping up?

Starting a new professional bass trail would be incredibly less expensive than one of the leagues you mentioned. Probably less than $1M to start a trail but hundreds of billions to start a pro league like what you listed.

If it were so easy to charge less or free entry fees and pay out more than BASS/BPT then someone woukd come along and do it.

Starting a new professional bass trail would be incredibly less expensive than one of the leagues you mentioned. Probably less than $1M to start a trail but hundreds of billions to start a pro league like what you listed.

If it were so easy to charge less or free entry fees and pay out more than BASS/BPT then someone woukd come along and do it.
    I assume that billion you speak of is a typo and meant to say million. There are no 100 billion dollar companies that I’m aware of.

My only point was that pre-MLF there were problems at BASS that needed to be addressed but it fell on deaf ears. Those are elite series anglers’ words, not mine. If it hurts your feelings it doesn’t make it any less true.

It’s okay to be a fan of tournament organizations but also point out flaws.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

Quote Originally Posted by Meadows View Post
    I assume that billion you speak of is a typo and meant to say million. There are no 100 billion dollar companies that I’m aware of.

My only point was that pre-MLF there were problems at BASS that needed to be addressed but it fell on deaf ears. Those are elite series anglers’ words, not mine. If it hurts your feelings it doesn’t make it any less true.

It’s okay to be a fan of tournament organizations but also point out flaws.

Definitely a typo. I agree that there is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws of an organization. It just gets taken to an extreme on here against both leagues. The sheer amount of threads complaining about every little thing about the Classic a few days ago was a little extreme. The Redcrest had several as well.

Definitely a typo. I agree that there is nothing wrong with pointing out flaws of an organization. It just gets taken to an extreme on here against both leagues. The sheer amount of threads complaining about every little thing about the Classic a few days ago was a little extreme. The Redcrest had several as well.
    Agreed
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

13. Member
    This Classic had higher Nielsen ratings than MLS soccer which aired same day

Quote Originally Posted by Spot-a-saurus View Post
    How is the head count attained at the classic? Just curious, didn’t see it mentioned in this thread, if it was, apologies

In the past BASS has said the have people and cameras at entrances that count people. I think they also separately count take off and weigh in crowds. I know most morni gs the lines to get in the Expo were extremely long. We got there about 90 minutes early most days and lines were already going waiting to get in.
    You didn't notice the people right inside the entrance doors holding the old school counters in their hands clicking every time someone walked past them? They were doing true head counts.

One other tour did pop up. National professional league or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    You didn't notice the people right inside the entrance doors holding the old school counters in their hands clicking every time someone walked past them? They were doing true head counts.
    Yes, but every time someone someone left the Expo and re-entered they were recounted, vendors included. Ask me how I know....
    Woody

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody60 View Post
    Yes, but every time someone someone left the Expo and re-entered they were recounted, vendors included. Ask me how I know....
    At the end of the day the expo was packed, and tons of gear got sold, so it doesn’t really matter what the actual attendance number was. But ya, couple guys at the entrance with a clicker isn’t going to give you a great idea of an actual attendance number

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    At the end of the day the expo was packed, and tons of gear got sold, so it doesn’t really matter what the actual attendance number was. But ya, couple guys at the entrance with a clicker isn’t going to give you a great idea of an actual attendance number
    I'd be curious about how the Nielsen numbers are computed also.

Quote Originally Posted by juice780 View Post
    One other tour did pop up. National professional league or something like that.

A whole one huh?

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post

My post said that they have people at the entrance counting.

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast