Thread: Part Name

Part Name

First, thanks to Rob Ridge (Topwater All Day) for supplying me the photo.

Does anyone know the name of this part. It's used the block the pressure port on the Oil Pick Up Assembly on top of the oil reservoir cap.

Oil Cap Block.jpg

Without the cap it looks like this. On my Nitro Z19 and several others the hose to push air into the oil reservoir is not connected here, it is connected to the top of oil refill hose, so this port is blocked to maintain pressure inside the reservoir.

Oil Cap 2 (2).jpeg

Hopefully this is a better pic than the first one.
    Borrowed Photo.jpg
    Last edited by Fishahaulic; 03-28-2023 at 07:19 PM.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004
    Police Detective Retired 2004-2022

2. Member
    Hard to tell what part you are referring to in the pic. From your description it sounds like the top screw cap to the main oil reservoir. That is all one part from a service maintenance perspective. There are a couple of in-line 2 PSI Check Valves as part of the system but I am not sure that is part of what the arrow is pointing to. I'll post some component pics and part numbers for merc 135 to 200 HP. Perhaps it will help some. They are components and function for the Oil Injection System.
    Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.31.34 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.25.20 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2023-03-28 at 10.25.48 AM.jpg
    ~ Dave
    2022 Nitro Z21xl 250 ProXS
    HDS Live 12 B&C/Ghost/AT

You're probably going to have to buy the whole cap assembly based on the parts diagram Davl provided. I would talk with a Mercury shop if you have one near you and see if you can order it. Also seems like your cap should have had that plug on there to begin with...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Topwater All Day View Post
    You're probably going to have to buy the whole cap assembly based on the parts diagram Davl provided. I would talk with a Mercury shop if you have one near you and see if you can order it. Also seems like your cap should have had that plug on there to begin with...
    I'm sure it was there beforehand. It must have came out somehow. I've had this boat since 2019 and fish minimum once a week. Had to have come off somehow, but we cant find it in the bilge anywhere. BPS is the closest, so I'll be headed up there tomorrow, hopefully they'll have one.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004

5. Member
    just get a piece of hose with a hose clamps, slip it over the opening and plug the other end of the hose. I would think that would work.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
    just get a piece of hose with a hose clamps, slip it over the opening and plug the other end of the hose. I would think that would work.

I thought so too. Spent the last several days trying different things but nothing builds up enough pressure to pump oil into the oil tank mounted on the engine. If I take the air pressure hose off the oil fill hose, it puts in so much pressure it blew about a pint of oil out the fill tube seal, in about 5 seconds. Not fun cleaning up that much oil.
    USAF Retired 1981-2004

And your sure that the air is coming out there?

Just my thought is that I wouldn't want to mess with this much more - I'd be taking it in to a Mercury shop and have them repair/replace it. Anytime your dealing with a pressurized oil system, it's just not worth cutting any corners...
    Rob Ridge
    www.folsombassteam.com
    2018 Nitro Z19 Pro, 200 Mercury Pro XS

9. Member
    I agree with the above statement. It will be cheaper to take it to a mechanic than replacing a power head or new engine. Just my opinion.