New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

How many guys have cut the plastic sheath of their Ultrex???

Just wondering how many of you have actually cut the plastic sheath off the trolling motor and replaced with a neoprene cover or other material instead of the harder sheathing that comes on the Ultrex and why??? Mostly for looks or for more manuverability with the wires and graphs and so on??
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    replied to your post above in general section

3. Member
    Just did a couple nights ago, mostly for maneuverability around my front graph.

4. 2012 619 w/ 200 SHO
    never thought about it being an option but it would certainly be nice to have another option than that stiff b*$trd.

5. Member
    I replaced the original cable sheath with a neoprene wire cover off of Amazon several years ago and it really helped the cable lay properly.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by twitch View Post
    Just wondering how many of you have actually cut the plastic sheath off the trolling motor and replaced with a neoprene cover or other material instead of the harder sheathing that comes on the Ultrex and why??? Mostly for looks or for more manuverability with the wires and graphs and so on??
    They have a newer version of the sheat for the cable harness. It is about $7 and is much more pliable and duriable.

7. Member
    I did and love the result. Replaced it with the TH Marine cover but there’s others that I’m sure are just as good and they’re all better than the stiff original. Made it a lot easier to maneuver cable around electronics. Definite improvement.
    2014 Ranger Z520C, Yamaha 250 SHO

I cut mine off after it cracked at the top and replaced the whole thing with a Braided Split-Sleeve Wire Loom. It's similar to the material used in those rod sleeves but cut down the center and over lapped on itself.
    I was worried at first I'd get hooks hung in it all the time, but haven't had a single issue yet.

The only problem I've run into with this is that it has the tendency to hang on the lower right corner of my graph when I go to lift up the trolling motor because it's not smooth or as rigid as the OEM sleeve.
    united in the pursuit of bass.

Yes for the same reasons with good results

10. Member
    I have a new Ultrex on my current boat and that cover is softer. But I agree the older one was stiff and often had issues with it coming loose from the head and trying to move it around the front graph.
    Wes
    Helix 10 MSI+,MDI+,Ultrex IPilot
    2023 Phoenix 818
    Never assume there's a tomorrow