Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Looking For A New TV

My 12 year old LG TV went out last night. What are some good TV's now on the market. Looking for something 50" max corner to corner. This will only be used as a TV with an outside antenna. No computer hook-up, no cable, no streaming. I have no problems getting another LG unless they are garbage now. My other choice might be Sony. Anything else I should be looking at as far as options or picture quality. Thanks for any help in advance.

2. Member
    We've had our best luck with Samsung. We had a TLC that didn't last long at all. I'm avoiding them.

Like you our longest lasting TV was an older LG.

Best bang for your buck IMO is Philips.

Samsungs are overrated and the sound quality is horrible. Turn it up to 23 or 86, it all sounds the same.

Vizios are okay, but they seem really slow for some reason when cycling through apps while streaming.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

I have 3 Sony's they seem to run forever. Also had really good luck with a more expensive LG. I think you get what you pay for when it comes to Tv's.

5. Member
    I just got a new Sony. I use it as a screen only, no WiFi hooked up so I don’t use the apps or smart tv or any of that stuff. For my budget I thought it had the best picture and sound out of the box. The Samsung was my other choice. I went for 4k with full array backlighting. That put it in the middle of the road for quality wise. There are higher and lower ends of course. So far so good, setup was simple and works well in all light. I have it in a den that gets a ton of morning sun and no light at all in evening and does good in both.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

We just bought a Samsung and are happy with it so far. Good luck on finding something that is not a smart TV anymore.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    I just got a new Sony. I use it as a screen only, no WiFi hooked up so I don’t use the apps or smart tv or any of that stuff. For my budget I thought it had the best picture and sound out of the box. The Samsung was my other choice. I went for 4k with full array backlighting. That put it in the middle of the road for quality wise. There are higher and lower ends of course. So far so good, setup was simple and works well in all light. I have it in a den that gets a ton of morning sun and no light at all in evening and does good in both.
    I am sure my broken LG was HD and not 4K. I know nothing about this. Do I need to look at 4K, what are my options? Do I get another HD tv? Just trying to make sense of all of this. I just want a tv that works and has good picture quality.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

8. Member
    I’ve had good luck with Vizio. We have some in our office at work that runs 10 to 12 hours a day and they are 12 years old still going strong. But for home get the higher end model for better sound and picture quality

9. Banned
    lg oled

10. Member
    Have 3 ONN from Wally World ---all have been great . Good TV at a good price !! Good for me !
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

11. Member
    I like LG's. Good picture and price is pretty good. I recently bought an LG C1 OLED and it's exceptional.

Sony is where it's at.

2010 Nitro Z7
    Mercury Optimax 150
    Garmin 106SV(bow), 106SV(console)
    Cayuta Creek Outdoors
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCw3...UvSxaeLpzFyYHA

I have three Vizios...the "newest" one is 3 yrs old, the oldest is 12...no issues.
    2016 Nitro Z21
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Benjamin Franklin

14. Member
    I bought a 55in LG earlier this year. Nothing wrong with the tv, it's the remote. It's too small, curved, rounded, small buttons, hard to hold and see.

Nice thing with the ONN tv's is that they have a guide for the local channels. We watch a lot of locals and it's nice to be able to see what's on.
    We have a 32" and a 65" ONNs. Pricepoint I hard to beat and great pictures.

16. Member
    I have a 50" samsung crystal 7000 series in my bedroom. It has as good of picture as my high dollar 75" Sony that is in my living room. The smart TV functions work really well and havn't had any issues with those at all. You will probably find alot of options in that 50" class that are better and likely cheaper than what you had.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cadman View Post
    I am sure my broken LG was HD and not 4K. I know nothing about this. Do I need to look at 4K, what are my options? Do I get another HD tv? Just trying to make sense of all of this. I just want a tv that works and has good picture quality.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
    I am not an expert at this either, just tried to do a little research for what I was looking for. My old tv was 1080p resolution which is considered HD I believe. It looked good and I had no issues with it. But I watch some things on my phone in 4k resolution and it does look better and smoother. A lot of tv and things are shot in 4k so I decided it was worth the upgrade. Right now things are up to 8k resolution and that’s supposed to be the latest/greatest. That’s a huge jump in price and i had no intent of even looking at that. Heck from what I understand the human eye can’t even see in that quality. The only other thing I really researched was the backlighting. To me price and visually it was worth spending a little more to get a full backlit tv, ass opposed to edge lit. For the size tv I got that put me right in the middle range price point. I do believe as well to a degree at least you get what you pay for. The question you have to answer, do you need it, is it worth it. For me yes, for others maybe not. You might want to take a trip to a store and look at some with your own eyes, get a feel for what quality/price point you need.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

I like Samsung TVs. Still haven't had one crap out on me. I left a couple at the house when I moved. They weren't smart TVs so no big loss. I keep an eye out for sales at Best Buy. They are the same or better price as purchasing on-line.

19. Member
    You're probably not going to be wrong with any equivalent model but may be hard to find a non smart tv. I currently have 3 different brands (Sharp, Samsung, Vizio). The Sharp is a non smart tv and going on 6 or 7yrs old. I favored Samsung in the past but not sure they are at top of the field now but have all been reliable. Might go to Walmart or Best Buy and look at some displays and pick one in your price range.

20. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mflora98ss View Post
    Sony is where it's at.
    I went to Best Buy last year to replace a Samsung that had all of the HDMI ports quit, one by one. I still use it as a monitor, and in general I like the picture quality of the Samsung, but after careful consideration I bought another Sony. I still have a 32” Sony that is ~15 years old and going strong. On head-to-head comparison in the store and now at home, the Sony has at least as good picture quality as the Samsung—at least the Samsung smart tv that I have—and much better sound, out of the box and without a sound bar. My old 32” Sony with 720 dpi has an amazingly bright and clear picture. My mother had a cheap Walmart Vizio 42” for a backup tv in her spare room, and it is a cut below in every category. Of course, every manufacturer has “levels” in their lineup, especially the premium brands, but I paid $200 more for a Sony 55-inch than the comparable Samsung just because I liked it better.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast