Water pressure gauge

Good morning.

98 Mariner 225mag efi 3.0L serial#0G626858.

my water pressure gauge seemed off so I wanted to test it out. I set my air compressor at 25psi and made an attachment with tubing to my gauge. Blew 25psi of air and it read 20psi on the gauge (picture attached). Would this be an accurate test or should I test it a different way?

This is one of the old prism gauges so I’m sure they are far an in between, is there a direct replacement? Looked some up and saw that some are not rated for 3.0 litters from 98 and up, why is that?

thanks for any guidance.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    analog not real; accurate anyway , not seen that rating,,30 psi is way plenty for 3.0 engines
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Not at all uncommon to see 5psi loss from your compressor to fitting on your air line. I'd say your water presure gauge is fine.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Should be fine to use.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor