Padded Carpet Report

While my 2014 Puma’s carpet was in good shape (always garage stored helps), my back and knees have been telling me to update for a couple years. Called Robbie’s in Asheboro, NC and they ordered and installed the new carpet on the entire front deck. Have fished out of it twice since recarpeting, so here is the report.

Pros:
    1. Just standing on the deck feels so much more comfortable, at the end of each day (6 and 7 hours respectively) my body did not have the same aches and pains previously associated with standing on the front deck.
    2. Sitting on the carpet felt way better, before I almost dreaded sitting down as it was very hard.
    3. Quality of BassCat carpet. While at the shop I checked out some other brands they were working on, just by looking one can tell the difference, and feeling confirms it.

Cons:
    1. Not inexpensive.
    2. Despite their best efforts in cleaning the back deck, floor and cooler carpet, they are now mismatched in color (some may care, I don’t). 9 years of fishing 50+ days a year will do that.
    3. I am much more careful with Spike-It and have yet to step on the carpet with my barn boots on.

Am hoping to get a bunch of years out of the padding. For those on the fence about getting it, I highly recommend it.

I recarpeted my boat 3 years ago. Did it all myself and went with Bass Cat carpet then and would again.
    I also did padding on the front deck. It was a pain somewhat to do and make it look right, but in the end it was a huge improvement. And 3 years later it still looks good.

3. Member
    What did you all use for the padding?

5. Member
    Used to be a guy who had a business called duramatz. He would make a padded mat that laid on the deck for about $200. Not sure if he's still in business anymore