Beating a dead horse- tracking bait with AT1. 0 degree mount?

I have a very Early active target 1. Image is great, see fish often and occasionally can see my bait, but it seems as if no matter how hard I try, it’s very difficult to consistently find my bait. It is very obvious when I do find it, but hard to keep track of it.

note- I do constantly scan with my trolling motor and rarely keep the head still- doing my best to track the lure.

i have a new 0 degree fish obsessed mount that I haven’t installed- has anyone noticed improvement using a 0 degree mount?

I’ve fished a good bit with garmin and the difference in the cone angle really doesn’t make it significantly easier to see lures. I’m finding it nearly impossible to fish a damiki rig and find the bait and keep it in the cone.

transducer IS turned to the correct mark for forward mode.

any tips?
    2004 Ranger 175VS/Mercury 125
    2018 Ram 2500-full thuren king 2.5 suspension

Following. I have the same experience, it is seldom that I can see my lure.
    I have my transducer mounted on a separate motorized pole and have wondered if that makes a difference. (Garmin GLS32 and 10 inch Ultra. ). I am using a 0 degree mount.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

3. Member
    I honestly can't tell any difference with a zero degree mount. I have a motorized pole. That's a game changer. I've got to leave for work now. I'll post more later.

4. Member
    The difference in cone area is huge between LS and AT, if I wouldn’t lose so much money, I’d go back to the LS.

Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    The difference in cone area is huge between LS and AT, if I wouldn’t lose so much money, I’d go back to the LS.
    Its 2 degrees. Thats not huge.

certain baits, like a chatter bait or crank bait I can see pretty good. I struggle on scout mode to track my baits/
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Are you fishing deep? I can pretty much track a bait from 80ft out back to the boat in 20-30ft of water. Like a 3.8” swimbait I can see it the whole time. I run noise rejection on OFF and I run contrast around 88% normally.

now if I’m up shallow like 5ft deep I can really only see my bait about 30-40ft from the boat.

I do have the 0 degree fish obsessed. More for the strength of that bracket vs the stock bracket.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

8. Member
    This past weekend was my first time to use the Fish Obsessed 0-degree mount and the cone angle is much better than before using the standard mount. I can click the head up or down depending on the the depth of the boat and notice a better capture of my fishing lure now. It's also a heck or a lot easier to go from Forward to Scout mode with the FO mount.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bloodman View Post
    Its 2 degrees. Thats not huge.

use both of them and you will notice the difference.

Someone had posted the widths of the beam at set distances. Either mine is less than the advertised beam or something is wrong with mine, both are possibilities.

If your forward range is set to 50’ and the beam is 18 degrees, you should have 9’ of width all the way down, right? Or am I figuring this wrong? I know mine does not give me 9’ of width.

Damn, Now I’m wondering if my TM is blocking it, but I don’t have any black out.
    Last edited by Bass in the grass; 03-28-2023 at 10:56 AM.

10. Member
    I crappie fish and changed from the Lowrance AT1 mount to a zero degree. I found the Lowrance AT1 mount did not point straight on forward mode. Zero degree mount was much better.
    This has helped but you might be having a materials problem. Certain materials show up better on AT. I find it may be the density of the rubber on the crappie jig etc.
    I can positively see some jigs better than others of the same size.
    I am casting 30-40ft at very most but small baits. Not like you bass fisherman.
    If I keep catching all these bass, I might need to call myself a bass fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreig2 View Post
    This past weekend was my first time to use the Fish Obsessed 0-degree mount and the cone angle is much better than before using the standard mount. I can click the head up or down depending on the the depth of the boat and notice a better capture of my fishing lure now. It's also a heck or a lot easier to go from Forward to Scout mode with the FO mount.
    I had the same result with the Rytek mount. love the adjustability and a better image overall. can make out targets at 100 ft now.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody b View Post
    I honestly can't tell any difference with a zero degree mount. I have a motorized pole. That's a game changer. I've got to leave for work now. I'll post more later.
    So, I said I'd add more. I'm learning more and more about contrast. (Y'all may already know all this). It's not as simple as higher contrast, see more stuff, but screen get's cluttered, lower contrast, clearer screen, but don't see as much stuff. What I've discovered, at least for my set up is, higher contrast brings out more stuff nearer the surface, but "washes out" stuff on, or near the bottom. If using a lure that runs relatively close to the surface increase contrast to be able to track it better. If lure is on, or near the bottom decrease contrast to see it better.

The LS cone size "should" be 1/2 inch wider per foot in distance. At 96 feet the LS cone "should" be 4 feet wider.

I've never looked at a live scope screen on the water.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bass in the grass View Post
    use both of them and you will notice the difference.

Someone had posted the widths of the beam at set distances. Either mine is less than the advertised beam or something is wrong with mine, both are possibilities.

If your forward range is set to 50’ and the beam is 18 degrees, you should have 9’ of width all the way down, right? Or am I figuring this wrong? I know mine does not give me 9’ of width.

Damn, Now I’m wondering if my TM is blocking it, but I don’t have any black out.
    That 9' width is at 50' feet and it tapers down like a slice of pie. It doesn't stay 9' wide. At 25' the beam is 4 1/2 feet wide and half that at 12' away.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by haus9393 View Post
    Are you fishing deep? I can pretty much track a bait from 80ft out back to the boat in 20-30ft of water. Like a 3.8” swimbait I can see it the whole time. I run noise rejection on OFF and I run contrast around 88% normally.

now if I’m up shallow like 5ft deep I can really only see my bait about 30-40ft from the boat.

I do have the 0 degree fish obsessed. More for the strength of that bracket vs the stock bracket.
    Can you post a pic of your two FFS ducers on your trolling motor? I am running two AT2 this season on the shaft of my Ghost and bought a Fish Obsessed Dominator mount for one and a Fish Obsessed zero degree mount for the other. Wondering if I would be better off with just two zero degree mounts. Going to be busy on that shaft!
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin