Is the 6.8 Western doomed?

With the release of the 7mm PRC, is the 6.8 Western already obsolete? Ammo makers don't seem to have much faith in the 6.8 (or in Hornady's case, don't want it to succeed)

2. Banned
    I don't see why the ammo manufacturers keep coming out with new rounds when they can't make enough for the ones already established.

New sells. Some will run hot and be the talk of the range. The new will be what everyone wants until the next hot round is advertised. It seems the old tried and true ones are still out there, and still quite popular and work quite well.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by acesover View Post
    I don't see why the ammo manufacturers keep coming out with new rounds when they can't make enough for the ones already established.
    I know it. My 7mm-08 likes Hornady Whitetail but it's been scarce along with many in that caliber. Everywhere I go I see stacks of 6.5 CM and my guess is Hornady will make sure you can get your hands on their 7mm PRC long before they worry about catching up on 7mm-08

The 6.8 is marginally less powerful. But the amount of powder needed in 7prc is more than velocity gains. Same with recoil. Also some people like the short action. So id almost compare it to the 6.5 creedmore and the 6.5prc. Creed has no lack of purchasers for sure. Also if any one comes arou Saying the 6.8western is to close to 6.5 creed or prc they are crazy. The 6.8w has more energy at 250yards than a 6.5 creed 143 at the muzzle.

not doomed but I predict the 7prc will for sure survive and thrive. 6.8 of which i own and have 800 rounds for will be in my safe till the end of time.

But i am mad at hornady there intention to not make any heavy for caliber 270, siting the customer is to stupid to not load it in a 1/10-1/12" barrel and they just want to keep it simple. Even though there are piles of heavy for caliber rounds made and a simple note on the box takes care of people. I literally heard that first hand in one of harnadys podcasts or when they were guests on someone else's podcast. This was near the release of 6.8w, they knew they were in the works of 7prc and just to cause hiccup in 6.8

also in my area it sure looks like hornady is pumping out its heavy for caliber eldx cartridges at a reduced msrp, 6.5/7/300prc are all 40-43$ up here, even though materials used are 30% more than other similar loadings from other manufacturers coming in at 50-65$

7. Member
    Pass. I will stick with the 270.

I think a lot of the reason behind if a cartridge makes it or not is based on factory support. Hornady learned how to convince rifle manufacturers to chamber their rounds, and they make sure the ammo is out there. Winchester, Remington, and Federal haven’t learned that lesson yet.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by adchunts View Post
    I think a lot of the reason behind if a cartridge makes it or not is based on factory support. Hornady learned how to convince rifle manufacturers to chamber their rounds, and they make sure the ammo is out there. Winchester, Remington, and Federal haven’t learned that lesson yet.
    I could be wrong here but didn't Hornady refuse to make the 6.8 because they had the 7mm PRC in the works?