Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lithium Batteries slowing your boat down.

Heard something about guys losing speed with them because the weight distribution of the boat isn't optimal. Anyone else heard about this?

2. Member
    I just watched a YouTube video today with a guy saying that very thing. The boat he was taking about was a newer Nitro, said they put bags of corn on the back deck to test their theory. Boat was faster with 200lbs of corn on the back deck with the lithiums compared to without the corn. He reasoned that the boat builders weren’t taking into account the weight difference of the batteries and how it effects the balance of the boat. I would assume that the newest boats that are coming out with lithiums from the factory have taken the weight savings into account when designing their hull.

I would hazard a guess that most bass boats are designed to run with “X” amount of weight in the bilge. Four strokes (heavier) engines came along, and they had to tweak their hulls to run with the extra weight. Now we are going the opposite direction with lithiums. Once they become commonplace, probably will need to tweak back the other direction.
    Aaron Campbell
    Barling, AR
    2007 Bass Cat Sabre
    2011 Merc 175 Pro XS

4. Member
    It’s all about center of gravity of the boat. If the boat was designed to have x amount of weight in the bilge to sit level at rest and you take that weight out the center of gravity changes. With less weight in the bilge it now takes more energy to cary the bow. It doesn’t make your boat slower but it can cause the need for some tweaking in setup.

I don’t have lithiums but currently my skeeter is faster with the fuel tank full vs empty.

5. Member
    A lot of bass boats have the batteries mounted behind the running pad of the hull. Take away weight from behind the pad and the see-saw tilts. Increased wetted surface increases friction and can reduce top speed.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Weekndwarriorfishing View Post
    I would assume that the newest boats that are coming out with lithiums from the factory have taken the weight savings into account when designing their hull.
    I would not assume that. Hull redesign I don’t think is a frequent thing. Maybe for a 2023 or upcoming hulls maybe they will think that in. I would guess for now tho the boats with lithiums get 2” more Jack plate to compensate. Or maybe nothing at all.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bware View Post
    A lot of bass boats have the batteries mounted behind the running pad of the hull. Take away weight from behind the pad and the see-saw tilts. Increased wetted surface increases friction and can reduce top speed.
    plus much heavier trolling motors
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

8. Member
    Think about it. We had a few years of massive weight added to the rear with power poles and plates. Boats were not getting on plane. Now we lightened up the back end with lithium and we added some weight up front on new sonar and mounts. It’s a balancing act. Never ending project.

9. Member
    Added lithiums to my champion and moved some of the junk to the rear compartment, so far it’s running faster. Will have to see come summer time, if the speed stays.

10. Member
    I am putting mine back together now, moving all kinda stuff around, everything new. We will see
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

11. Member
    Capacity is what I was after with lithiums. The running I did prior to tearing everything down was amazing
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

12. Member
    I moved engine back 2 inches and it performs very well
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I moved engine back 2 inches and it performs very well
    This is the ticket or maybe even 4". Will be doing that this week. Most boats that their fuel tank in in the rear won't loose much if anything at all going to lithiums. If your fuel tank is under the seat or in front the livewell, you will probably loose speed. I know you can move the heavier tackle to the rear but for me, I rather keep my tackle up front with me.

14. mikesxpress
    The weight aft design of bass boats hasn't changed. While some may experience performance improvements with the lithium reduced weight (mostly lightweight high performance hulls) the majority are going to be disappointed and will need to add the weight back via tackle storage movement or other means. It's not a game and nothing is changing.

15. Member
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

16. Member
    ? Do you not get the best picture having the FFS on a dedicated battery

17. Member
    I took out two size 31 AGM's and put in two Lithiums on the Port side. I don't know about top end but I have a better hole shot. I will say the boat porpoises side to side much easier and if I make a sharper turn to Starboard it "bounces" a lot more.

18. Member
    Its all about balance. Port to starboard, fore amd aft. We have added graphs,heavy graph mounts,heavier trolling motors,ffs transducers and mounts, to the bow. Removed weight from rear with lithium batteries. Caused weight foward,causing more boat in water. That big center locker thats popular has more tackle toward the bow. Now even with a prop change its taking power to lift all that bow weight.
    You have also changed the balance port to starboard. Causing the boat to (rock) chinewalk. You will have to reset up your boat. Move motor in out. Change prop for more bow lift move tackle weight. Put a level across gunnals to balance port and starboard. Ask the go fast guys. They have been moving weight, to increase speed forever.

19. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Mine didn't slow down.

20. Member
    The Skeeter didn't slow down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast