Balancing my 1997 XB2003

Hey fellows, could anyone tell me if its better to balance bow to stern first and the port to starboard or visa versa or does it matter, only been out in the boat twice so far since purchasing and just threw everything in the boat kinda where I could put it, tackle, cg required stuff, 38 Volt 112 Ultrex on port side, the 36 volt tm battery is in the back of the front deck compartment (Lithium) rods are all in rod locker, life jackets, clothing and cg stuff are in compartment behind drivers seat, tackle is in rear port side locker along with battery charger (2 bank) and cranking battery (lithium) and oil tank are next to gas tank with oil tank closer to port side and battery a little starboard side of center. I ordered some Lead Wake ballast bags (one 50 lb and two 25) to start with, they are very nice with handles but expensive. If needed I can get more because I want to get this set up perfectly. I am assuming I need like a half livewell full of water to simulate fishing condition? Thank you for any and all help. Loving the ride and the fishability is no longer of any concern, plenty of room front and back, never really understood why you needed an aircraft carrier front deck when all of your fishing time is spent in a 2 foot by 2 foot circle for the most part.
    Last edited by hunter35745; 03-27-2023 at 07:08 PM.

2. Member
    I would suggest a PM to Joeally who knows the setup pretty well.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

3. Member
    You have told us where you put your "stuff", but not its weight. To get the balance right, you should know the weight of your "stuff". As you experiment with balance, make notes as to where the weight is. As time goes by, you will add (likely) and subtract (less likely) "stuff". Rebalancing may become necessary.

4. Member
    Stick a 4' level across the front or rear deck. sit in the drivers seat and see how the balance is. Move weight accordingly.
    Jason

5. Member
    Use a level as mentioned above. Always wear your life Jacket and attach yout kill switch. Trim up slowly and never just let off the gas suddenly. Always trim down first. Put some water in the livewell and drive the boat until the chine walk just starts. Trim down and put boat in a slight left hand turn; bump the trim and drive around. Do you have anyone near you that can give you some driving tips for your Allison? Watch the Bass Cat video on driving a performance boat if you can.

6. Member
    Thanks guy's and I am not totally new to go fast and boats you have to drive, had a 99 Triton TR21 that was pretty fast and walked so you had to know how to drive, I just need to get the setup right I believe and I will be okay, just odered some tackle storage products from Ampd Marine so once I get those and get everything in I will balance the boat out and see where we are from that point. I know about the left pressure on the wheel and very tiny bumps left and that is no problem. Looking forward to the adventure and more importantly catching some fish. Thank you all.

7. Member
    I think the most important for “balance” is side-to-side weight distribution.

I keep a level in the boat with me so if I change things around (passenger or without, extra tackle, etc) I can lay it on the floor or deck and get things level.

With your boat being a side steer model and running a lithium cranking battery in the rear center compartment, you’ll need ballast on the port side to offset your weight as the driver. I’d start off trying 25-50#s in the far side gunnel area of the passenger side.

Balance is a huge issue to help you drive in the XB2003 but even when it’s right, it is simply just a learning curve that time behind the wheel will cure. Over the 20+ years I’ve owned and followed Allison groups, many people bought one and almost sold it before they figured it out. You will, just get it balanced, take it slow, and burn a few tanks of gas.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

Its hard to keep it right all the time with a side steer.

One trip you're solo, the next trip you have a 250lb partner. the 03 hull I had and now the 21, will both lift just fine at speed and correct itself for the most part and run level. Idling around you will get a lean for being badly unbalanced, but up and running its going to be pretty manageable. If you're after speeds in the mid 90's or triple digits, yeah, you need to prep the weight. If you and a partner are fishing, full well and tackle, mid upper 80's dont really need any prep unless you're grossly unbalanced IMO.

Something as simple as moving an anchor from one side to the other can be all the difference you need. Try without the weights first, no need to add weight unnecessarily. Just remember to not go crazy on the trim at first and don’t over drive it, so many wanna saw the wheel and that don’t work, just tiny little bumps.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

10. Member
    Both my XB 2002 and my XB 2003 were center steer which made balancing much easier.

Joe has the solution and yes it includes seat time.

I also had two Bullets and they were side steer but even then had different driving characteristics .
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    I have a side steer xb03 with a 2.5L motor. The boat will produce some very impressive numbers for a loaded, reliable bass boat. The best thing I ever did was change my driver’s seat slide from forward/rearward adjustment to left/right adjustment. If I am by myself, I adjust the seat as far to the left as it will go. With a passenger, I do the opposite. My batteries are all three Lithium Hub batteries and weigh around 43 lbs total and are mounted in the left rear and the left side of the bilge. My troller is a 48 lb X5 Motorguide with 80-pound thrust.
    Loaded to fish and solo with a half tank of gas it spins a 30 ET 7200 to 7300. At 71 years of age, I’m not really looking for any more speed, although there is a lot I could do to up the ante. I hope this info is helpful to you. Just be safe and don’t put yourself in a dangerous position before you are capable of handling a critical driving challenge. Be easy on the gas and even more easy when letting off the gas. You need the best vision possible, so don’t let anything lessen your vision. At 90 to 100 and above, you need to be focused on the water 100 yards in front of you. It only takes roughly two seconds to cover that distance at these speeds. Check your private messages.
    Last edited by Gary Morgan; 04-01-2023 at 04:42 AM.

12. Member
    That is it, balance is the key. Coming from a Bullet 23 years ago into a Alley 03 I thought a piece of cake. Na, a lot of learning involved. I don't fish Out of my Alley but at 63 I still love to ride. I only have one battery and no troller mounted so I run light, big numbers are over with for me!, Its a beast to drive without ballast. I love the way the 225x hums and the Alley pops the water. My prop is a 32ET, I do have 30ET, and a couple 28ETs. I would change to my 30 if I carried a load.
    Wear your Lifejacket and use your kill switch please.

Quote Originally Posted by hunter35745 View Post
    Thanks guy's and I am not totally new to go fast and boats you have to drive, had a 99 Triton TR21 that was pretty fast and walked so you had to know how to drive, I just need to get the setup right I believe and I will be okay, just odered some tackle storage products from Ampd Marine so once I get those and get everything in I will balance the boat out and see where we are from that point. I know about the left pressure on the wheel and very tiny bumps left and that is no problem. Looking forward to the adventure and more importantly catching some fish. Thank you all.
    I am interested in where and which Amped Tackle storage products you used. I bought some 1/4 Starboard and made myself a tackle box holder (3600 series boxes) for the back Passenger compartment. 90% of my tackle goes in there along with my power pole pumps and a small cooler. Would love to see some picture of your tackle storage when you are done. If you send me you phone number in a PM Ill send you some pictures of my set up maybe give you some ideas. I am set up to fish in mine and am giving up topend performance for that. I have a Helic 10 and 7 on the dash . Helix 9 with 360 and a Garmin 10" unit with Live scope on the bow with a 80# 48" Terrova troller. I am running all Lithium batteries troller and Starting. I am also running two 8' power poles. Powered by a 2005 Mercury Pro XS and a 1.62 sporty. Ran various props a worked 26 Promax and a Drag 4 work best for me. All of my batteries are in the bilge compartment. The cranker is on the passanger side and the two trollers are on the Drivers side. A 125 AH for starting and two 50 ah for trolling. I keep my rain jacket ropes some tackle in the box behind the driver. I have two inserts in the front box with a few boxes and plastics. All of my floation devices are under the front deck. I took my charger out of the boat and mounted it on the back wal of my garage. Attached two charging wire to the battery and added a sealable outdoor electrical plugs to them so all I have to do is pull the plugs out and plug them into the charger. Charger was to heavy and took up to much room. Its easy to take down and take with me if I travel some where.
    Last edited by K-DAWG; 04-03-2023 at 05:58 AM.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by K-DAWG View Post
    I am interested in where and which Amped Tackle storage products you used. I bought some 1/4 Starboard and made myself a tackle box holder (3600 series boxes) for the back Passenger compartment. 90% of my tackle goes in there along with my power pole pumps and a small cooler. Would love to see some picture of your tackle storage when you are done. If you send me you phone number in a PM Ill send you some pictures of my set up maybe give you some ideas. I am set up to fish in mine and am giving up topend performance for that. I have a Helic 10 and 7 on the dash . Helix 9 with 360 and a Garmin 10" unit with Live scope on the bow with a 80# 48" Terrova troller. I am running all Lithium batteries troller and Starting. I am also running two 8' power poles. Powered by a 2005 Mercury Pro XS and a 1.62 sporty. Ran various props a worked 26 Promax and a Drag 4 work best for me. All of my batteries are in the bilge compartment. The cranker is on the passanger side and the two trollers are on the Drivers side. A 125 AH for starting and two 50 ah for trolling. I keep my rain jacket ropes some tackle in the box behind the driver. I have two inserts in the front box with a few boxes and plastics. All of my floation devices are under the front deck. I took my charger out of the boat and mounted it on the back wal of my garage. Attached two charging wire to the battery and added a sealable outdoor electrical plugs to them so all I have to do is pull the plugs out and plug them into the charger. Charger was to heavy and took up to much room. Its easy to take down and take with me if I travel some where.
    NPDEXP5.5 Universal Plano 3700 Box Tray 5.5
    K-Dawg, first let me say Roll Tide. I just got the stuff from amped, its going in the boat in the morning. This is what I ordered(NPDEXP5.5 Universal Plano 3700 Box Tray 5.5
    NPDEXP36006.5 Universal Plano 3600 Box Tray 6.5 (Horizontal)

I will send you pics tomorrow, sending pm now