Rub rail Rivets - Narrow nose Rivet gun?

Ok.. I have ordered replacement rivets from Basscat. I understand I can heat up the rub rail to try to get the rivet gun in the rail gap but has anyone found a narrow rivet gun that makes this job easier? Luckily I only have four or five on both sides mid boat to replace. My fear is heating things up and deforming the rub rail. A narrow gun would help but I have searched.
    Any other ideas?

thanks

2. Member
    i did mine with marson standard rivet tool https://www.amazon.com/Marson-39000-...s%2C194&sr=8-1
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

3. Member
    Thanks. Did you heat the rail up to get the gun into the channel?

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassfish14 View Post
    Thanks. Did you heat the rail up to get the gun into the channel?
    no-- did it in summer time though I believe
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    MAGA

On replacement, We suggest removing the entire rivet head by grasping the head with medium sized needle nose Vise-Grips. We DO NOT suggest drilling them out for replacement.

This preserves hole size as the river is simply compressed smaller and forced out over time.

As for the rivet gun, we use hand guns in the field and they do open the channel with a wooden wedge or expanding tool. This is done in house by a sliding block and a Pop brand air gun (Stanley).

You will need the custom built rivet for the right grip length. Home Depot, Fastenal or Lowe’s will not have the longer barrel.

BCB

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Campbell-Hausfeld-Air-Powered-Pop-Rivet-Gun-with-Nose-Pieces-TL053900-TL053900/308503431?FORM=SSAPC1
    First use a very small pin punch to drive out the expanding pin on all the rivets. Then use 16/64 drill bit cut the head of the Rivet off, carful not drill to deep, just the flat portion of the head. Use a pin punch to push the remainder of the rivets thru the hole. Done right there will be no enlargement of the holes.
    You will need a rivets gun such as the one in the link above. The rivets will set much tighter and it won't kill your hands this way.
    The pushed-out rivets will work there to the back of bilge for a while, check it frequently as they can find there way into bilge pumps.
    Do not even attempt to use a hand rivet tool for this job.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by Bass Cat Boats View Post
    On replacement, We suggest removing the entire rivet head by grasping the head with medium sized needle nose Vise-Grips. We DO NOT suggest drilling them out for replacement.

This preserves hole size as the river is simply compressed smaller and forced out over time.

As for the rivet gun, we use hand guns in the field and they do open the channel with a wooden wedge or expanding tool. This is done in house by a sliding block and a Pop brand air gun (Stanley).

You will need the custom built rivet for the right grip length. Home Depot, Fastenal or Lowe’s will not have the longer barrel.

BCB
    Longer than 3/4 inch??
    I Have not replaced any on cats, I would expect 3/16x?.........5/8 or 3/4
    I would assume that bass cat parts could provide the correct ones, to be on the safe side.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Yes, longer than 3/4" and yes they can provide the proper rivets.

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    Longer than 3/4 inch??
    I Have not replaced any on cats, I would expect 3/16x?.........5/8 or 3/4
    I would assume that bass cat parts could provide the correct ones, to be on the safe side.

9. Member
    MAGA

10. Member
    Ok. just to close on this. I got the rivets from Basscat. I only had to do 5 on each side by the hand rail.They were loose but not like they were falling off but its cold here still so time to do it. I pulled a couple out but had to drill the rest. Used a Milwaukee battery powered gun. Heated up the rub rail and was able to spread the rub rail and set the rivets. Like Basscat said.. two man job. Once you do one its not too bad.
    Thanks to all that responded.