Thread: RodGeeks issues

RodGeeks issues

Has anyone tried getting in contact with RodGeeks lately? Im building a fly rod for my dad and he wants to use the C4F904-4 blank but it’s out of stock, along with a lot of their other fly rods, and have been out of stock for a long time.

I’ve sent quit a few emails and called just trying to get a lead time or even if they are discontinuing them because it’s been so long without a single response back. It seems like ever since St Croix took over RodGeeks completely their customer service went to crap. Last time I ordered a blank it took nearly 4 weeks after they took my money to ship the rods, one I’m almost certain was the wrong blank, and they never answered any emails then too.

sucks because I St Croix makes my fav spinning rods but the past two times I’ve tried ordering has been turning me off. Guys on Rodbuilding forum have mentioned similar issues over the past couple months too.
    Last edited by ECobb91; 03-27-2023 at 06:17 PM.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

2. Banned
    ST croix's customer service has gone straight to shit over the last 3 years. I know this doesn't help you. Good luck.

3. Member
    I feel like since Bob Penicka left it hasn't been great. Only blank I use from them anymore is the SG79HM and it's been probably a year since anyone has wanted one.

4. Member
    Same issue, reached out a month or so ago for some blank info and never heard back.

5. Member
    They are owned by a big rod company now, we are such a small percentage of their business, they aren't even in their business model except as a footnote. I be surprised if we were one in 20 of their business anymore, it seems most if not all St. Croix blanks are built there now. If the composite blanks Billy V. designed for them disappeared, I wouldn't be surprised. Hopefully Rod Forge will keep them.

I quit building their blanks because I just couldn’t find what I needed which is very specific to my needs. Not a bass blank.
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

7. Member
    it’s been nearly a month since I first emailed them and over a week since I called and left my number to call me back. Haven’t heard a word so I’m looking elsewhere.

One thing I noticed about their blanks is even though C2/C4 are supposedly the same blanks as SCII/SCIV, their actions aren’t identical. I built a bunch of C2 rods because I loved the actions and were a great rod for the money. Plenty sensitive too. But not a 1:1 comparison to say a Premier.

I built two C266MLF for trout fishing, one in a green for my dad, and one in burnt orange color for myself. My dads had a typical NGC guide train and is more reminiscent of a premier in terms of action and power. Mine I used the KR concept and it’s much stiffer. Only thing I can think of is the additional weight from the NGC guides made the rod softer. Even then, both don’t have the same action as the premier youd pick up in store. Still came out as fantastic trout rods, just not what I was expecting.

another time I built a C266MHF and a C270MHF for my cousins. The 7’ rod felt almost dead in the hand, heavy, and had the action of a broomstick. The 6’6” came out great, very light and more sensitive than the 7’, and a softer action..

I still like the St Croix/RodGeeks blanks, but I take the comparisons to SCII/SCIV with a grain of salt.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp