Oil tank filling issue

I recently had oil tank filling issue with one I serviced for this problem, cleaned Revoir screen, replaced check valve, pressure tested good, tank filled very fast when completed. After two trips out, same problem, tank half full.
    Tank had pressure but no flow. Restricted screen and filter, oil looked good. However, it was not good.
    filter.jpg
    This is a reusable filter for a common coffee maker that I used to check the oil. A gallon of new premium plus will flow thru this filter in less than one minute. The oil in his would completely stop flowing thru it with about one qt

He uses nothing but premium plus new gallon jugs, oil did not appear abnormal at all. The boat had set without use for 6 months in his garage. There was a thick film collected in the filter that was gelled. In the tank this oil looked ok

There you go: test the oil quality as well when you have this issue. easy quick test with a $10.00 filter

PS:
    Just remembered when first came in with the oil fill problem, I noticed a powerhead gasket leak which I did replace.
    Thinking maybe the reason being a lot water introduced thru the intake and some of it being passed thru the crankcase check valve into the oil tank. Maybe enough to cause the gelling but not enough to be noticeable as the oil appeared to be normal
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-28-2023 at 03:16 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

2. Member
    I use a paint strainer, about same screen, I will try coffee filter deal though, I filter all my oil.
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Moisture is the most likely cause. Another common culprit being a funnel.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I just had the same issue with my rig. Pulled it from storage and ran it for several hours on the lake last weekend. Had approx 1 gal of oil in the remote tank, so I added another new sealed gallon to it. Went out yesterday and after 1hr of running, the low oil alarm came on. Motor tank was down to 1/2. Tried the bleed the system, and oil would not flow to the motor tank. Ended up cleaned the suction screen, sucking out the thick/gelled oil and putting in a fresh purchased new gallon. Now all is good. I’m not sure what caused this, but is sickening having to dispose $120 worth of oil. I will look into the power head leak on mine, maybe you’re onto something. Thanks for the post