Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Guy's with 36v T motor running Ionic 50ah lithium's

I put these in and only been out a few times till this past saturday. Fished 1st actual tournament sat full day in some pretty good current most of the day. After all day batteries were at 82% is that normal? If that's the case they will be perfect. Do they need to be charged or do you drain them farther. Also have the 125 big battery and after running pumps and graphs all day it didn't even put a dent in it after a 15 min run back to weigh in it was at 99%
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

2. Member
    I've been wondering the same, with so many ppl pushing 100ah I've wondered how many people actually kill 50ah battery in normal circumstances

Bass Man I have the same setup and yes that is normal

I can get 3 days on the water before charging

The only time you need to charge them is when you feel they are low enough you may not make it through the day

I can't get out every day so I have gone over a week before charging multiple times

They are not like lead acid batteries you only charge them when they get to low

I have an older HPDI so it doesn't have the juice to charge the 125 that fast but still I can get at least 3 days out of it before it needs a charge
    "The handicapped angler"

4. Member
    Wondering if you run Graphs with the cranking battery. Is that an option?

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    I put these in and only been out a few times till this past saturday. Fished 1st actual tournament sat full day in some pretty good current most of the day. After all day batteries were at 82% is that normal? If that's the case they will be perfect. Do they need to be charged or do you drain them farther. Also have the 125 big battery and after running pumps and graphs all day it didn't even put a dent in it after a 15 min run back to weigh in it was at 99%
    Which trolling motor are you spinning?

6. Member
    I have 3 50ah ionics on my ultrex. What speed do you guys run your trolling motor on most time? If I fish a full tourney day my batteries are usually down in the 50-60% range. I’ve had them for 2.5 years and that’s usually where they end up. Just curious about everyone else

depending on the weather or if I'm up the river I can use between 25% to 35% in a day during a tournament I think once I used 41% but that was an ugly day
    I stay below 4 most of the time on the lake and on the river I'm again in the lower numbers but I run back up with the ultrex to get my snags
    Fun fishing I usually use less
    All with a Ultrex 112 link

I run everything but the trolling motor off the 125 cranking battery including 4 graphs (2 HB Solix's 12/10 and 2 Garmin's 10/9 plus livescope)

you will never run one of these out of juice in a single day
    "The handicapped angler"

8. Member
    Depends for me (3 x 50amp ionics/ultrex), lowest I've gotten them was in the high 40%'s in Door County WI (Sturgeon Bay) spotlock in 25mph wind or at 80% just to move a little the whole day. Most of the time I'm between 70% and 80% for a full day of fishing.

9. Member
    You gotta fish harder!! I had 3 50s and now the single 36v 50. I run mine down on a regular basis but I like to put the Ghost on 10 when I need to and cover a lot of water.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Which trolling motor are you spinning?
    Ultrex, So if I'm at 82% with 1 outing I could go at least 1 more time before I charge them or do most charge them after each use? New to this lithium technology and being they only have so many cycles don't want to waste a charge if not necessary.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

I fished a tournament a few weeks ago and it was WINDY. It really restricted where you dared to run. I fished all day on the TM with a lot of spot lock. I only burned 2.2gal of gas all day. I was at 73-75% on all three of my 60ah Impulse batteries. Mid 80s is pretty normal for a tournament day.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

12. Member
    https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1130349

I have had my Ionic setup now almost 2 years with zero issues and nothing but praise for them. I have gone 3 full days of fishing between charges several times. I would not worry about charging cycles, you’ll be dead before you hit 5000+ charging cycles. Remember, your engine charges the cranking battery while running. I typically see close to 99% at the end of day back at the ramp, especially having to idle back out of the stump mine field.
    JT

2014 Ranger Z521C / Yamaha VMAX SHO 250 / IONIC Batteries
    Garmin 57” Force TM, ECHOMAP Ultra 106sv’s, LVS34

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass.man65 View Post
    Ultrex, So if I'm at 82% with 1 outing I could go at least 1 more time before I charge them or do most charge them after each use? New to this lithium technology and being they only have so many cycles don't want to waste a charge if not necessary.
    I usually charge mine after an outing. A "cycle" doesn't always count. It depends on depth of discharge. I was told numbers once but don't remember what they were. I've had mine right at a year. I fish at least 2 times a week and pretty much charge them every trip. Mine shows 24 cycles. If you fished, and charged every single day 10 years would only be 3650 cycles.

I say if you're boat is sitting near an outlet charge 'em. If you're not near an outlet go another trip before dragging out the extension cord or moving the boat.

14. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    OK guys here is the thing about IONICs and Prismatic cells, whether you charge every time or wait its fine either way with a few exceptions, if they are stored in extremally cold temps charge to 100% and disconnect
    do not let them sit for log periods below 50% but a few weeks is fine, if you always fish short days and know what you use its ok to go a few trips but do not be concerned about wasting cycles , IONIC used partial cycles , you can charge 4 times at 80% and only use one cycle and not harm the life of the battery so if you are at 80% and your next trip is a tournament charge to 100% before you go, dont ever restrict your fishing time by not having enough battery especially with the 50ah
    100% down 40% in one trip equals one cycle
    if they stay charged most of the time just run them down below 40% every now and then and fully charge, cells will balance and you will get many year out of them
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCCS15 View Post
    I have 3 50ah ionics on my ultrex. What speed do you guys run your trolling motor on most time? If I fish a full tourney day my batteries are usually down in the 50-60% range. I’ve had them for 2.5 years and that’s usually where they end up. Just curious about everyone else
    Mine are the same.

16. Member
    I have 3 12V 50AH Ionics, Lowrance 36V on my boat, and Saturday I fished 7 hours in a tail race, running the trolling motor pretty hard to keep up with the current, sometimes at max output and when I left I checked my batteries and they were at 67%. They are great batteries and technology for sure.
    2024 Xpress X21 / Yamaha 250 SHO
    2022 Allison XB-21 BasSport Pro Elite / 2022 Mercury 300R (Sold)

17. Member
    Not an Ionic, but I have a single Nextgen 36V/40A running a Garmin Force and I can fish my normal 6 hour day and have 60% or more left in the "tank".
    I am pulling around a 2022 BassCat Cougar.

Buddy pulled into 35mph winds from 7am to 2:30 and killed his 50ah , i did it until about noon, then started controlling my drift with powerpoles down and motoe pointed backwards some. I finished the day at 20%. Z21/z8 36v ultrexes
    Mercury 250 proxs 2B115089

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishysam View Post
    Buddy pulled into 35mph winds from 7am to 2:30 and killed his 50ah , i did it until about noon, then started controlling my drift with powerpoles down and motoe pointed backwards some. I finished the day at 20%. Z21/z8 36v ultrexes
    This is something I will not have to worry about with my 50's. I will never be fishing in 35mph wind.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

20. Member
    I seem to have just the opposite experience with my 24v Ultrex! I just bought two of the 50ah from Ionic last week and first trip out realized I should've bought the 100ah. If I could do it again I'd order the 100ah instead of the 50 and just pay the difference. That being said I really do love the batteries and it's really impressive how much power is packed into such a small package. Love the bluetooth app and the fact I removed a hundred pounds or more from the boat. My problem is I fish in a big open lake where the wind's always howling and I guess I really eat battery. Eventually I'll replace the 50's with 100ah Ionics...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast