Humminbird Solix Gen 2's will not recignize software update. Gen 3 did.

Hello:

I have a network with 4 Solix's. (originally all were Gen 2 MSI+ and I updated software on them to 4.020 last year)

I recently bought a Gen 3 MSI+ with software 4.070 new out of the box.

I replaced one of the Gen 2's with the Gen 3.

Last night I Tried updating the software of all 4 units to the new 4.13 revision.
    I used a 16gig SD card and downloaded from humminbird website.

I updated the Gen 3 first and it worked fine.

I then tried the Gen 2's and none of them recognized a available update from the SD card.
    I even tried a different SD card.

Do the Gen 2's not use the same software as the Gen 3?
    Last edited by Enduro67; 03-27-2023 at 11:55 AM.

G3 software is different than G1/G2.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

There is about 90MB difference in the file sizes.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

4. Member
    Ok thank you.

I double checked and Hummidbird website says 4.13 is the latest software for the Gen 2's.
    So are you saying that 4.13 is different for Gen 2 than Gen 3.

I guess I will go try again tonight with a totally fresh download from the Gen2 software page.

If that doensn;'t work then I will just try and re-setup the network and see if they play all well together.

5. Member
    Would the encription file from the Gen 3 prevent the card from working with the Gen 2's?

That shouldnt matter since I tried a different card that did not have that file on it.

G1 and G2 are the same. G3 software is different.

The Encrypt folder has nothing to do with the software updates. It is automatically written to an unlocked memory card. It is for the purchase and download of a Chart Select map.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

7. Member
    I am having almost this exact same problem. Four solix's networked, two gen 2's, a gen 1, and a gen 3. All but one of my gen 2's took the 4.13 update without any issues. The Gen 2 I have my 360 connected will not take the new update. Tried on 3 different cards, and yes, its the correct update for the Gen2.

I posted my issues on here and all I got for a response was that I was lucky it didn't go through because it was causing cross talk issues. I'm to the point now where I think I will have to send it to HB.
    '17 Nitro Z21, 250ProXS serial # 2B399616, 24p Fury4, 12" Atlas, Apex 16 @ console, Apex 16 & Apex 13 @ bow, Mega 360, Ultrex, 8ft blades

8. Member
    Make sure the serial # plate is exactly what the Update specifies. You have all generations and might have missed the update or the unit specifications. Beyond that call HB with the exact info.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

9. Member
    I assume you are doing each unit by itself with all of the other units, ethernet switch, NMEA, etc. turned off? I just did my Gen2 units with no issues, but I did learn a while ago (thanks to BBC) that doing them completely stand alone is by far the best way to do them.

1. Power ups just one unit.
    2. Backup the data you want to backup.
    3. Reeset the unit (not a requirement, but doesn't hurt if you have the time).
    4. Do the update.
    5. Reset the unit again.
    6. Restore data.

Rinse and repeat for all of the units. Then power them all up, resync the network and do whatever configuration changes you need to make again. Which for me is generally turning off almost all of the global configurations options and setting up each unit manually. Takes time, but it works.

10. Member
    Ok I am still having problems with updating my Gen2 Solix's.

I downloaded the 4.13 software package specifically for the Gen-2's to my PC and unzipped.
    Transferred them to a brand new, formatted 16GB SanDisk Ultra 80MB/S SD card.
    Put it one of the Gen-2's and once again it did not recogize new software available on card.

So I took the card that I used to update with last year which was a 16gb Sandisk card that is slower speed than the UltraII.
    I transferred the new 4.13 solix file to that card....put it in the unit and it recognized the new 4.13 software and allowed me to start the download.

A hour has gone by now and the graph is still downloading.

Is that normal? I know it takes awhile but I though 20-30 minutes is typical.

How long would you wait for the software to load and more importantly what do you do if it never "finishes"

it is the only graph that is on but it is hooked the ethernet hub which is powered...but alll the other graphs are off.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 03-30-2023 at 01:48 PM.

11. Member
    After two hours I called humminbird. they talked me through some steps and luckily the unit still functions after stopping the software install.
    They had me reformate the card, retransfer the files to the card.
    Then reset unit to factory defalts and tried software install again.

Now we are back to the unit not recognizing any available software update on even the older card.

They are mailing me a card with the software pre installed to try.
    Last edited by Enduro67; 03-30-2023 at 05:26 PM.

12. Member
    Are you expecting it to automatically recognize it and ask if you want to do the update? Or are in you going in to "Files" and seeing the update there and tapping it to start?

None of mine would recognize I had a card with an update available automatically. I had to go in to "Files" and select the update and it went fine from there.
    Last edited by DQM; 03-30-2023 at 08:58 PM.

13. Member
    I go to files and it says there is no new software available to download.

The times it worked it popped up with a message that says new software found and it even said what version the new software is.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Enduro67 View Post
    I go to files and it says there is no new software available to download.

The times it worked it popped up with a message that says new software found and it even said what version the new software is.
    I know we were having issues downloading on Mac and would not update. We downloaded using windows and unzip and it worked.

15. Member
    It’s a HP desktop.

I tried two different card readers too.

Only thing I did not try was doing a second download /unzip cycle.

The Humminbird support person said the Solix Units can be temperamental with respect to specific SD cards which is why she offered to send me a card preloaded.

16. Member
    Humminbird rep shipped card overnight to the resort we are staying at on Dale Hollow.
    It worked and I was able to update all 3 of the Gen2’s. Now just have to reconfigure the network.

The card had no sticker on it so don’t know what make/model it is.

17. Member
    Post week long trip update:

I was able to reconfigure the network with the new Gen 3 solix and the 3 Gen 2's.
    I was on the water for 6 days and had a few issues.

Network ran good for first few days....then on day 3 one of the Gen 2's on the bow quit sharing waypoints with the other graphs. Which was odd because it still shared the map chip data with the unit on the dash.

then on day 4 and 5 the network would not sync up at all. None of the graphs talked to each other and would not share map data.
    Tried rebooting everything multiple times with no success.

The miraculously on day 6 everything synced up again and performed flawlessly,

So I went ahead and ordered a new 5 port ethernet switch to replace and see if it resolves the issue. Ive been having odd problems for a few years now which I just figured was buggy Solix performance...but this latest deal makes it look more like a hub problem.