Power Drain - Head $cratching - going broke

A few months ago, I noticed I was getting abnormal power drain on my cranking battery which at the time was a group27. I took it in they checked everything and was told because I had my Carbon 12(console), HDS Live, Active Target(Bow), structure scan transducer. power poles etc, that going to a group 31 would solve my problem. It did not, it just extended the issue a few minutes longer before I would begin getting low voltage warnings again. As I am no electrical expert, I again took it to the dealer, they then suggested going to a dedicated battery for the electronics only. So in a effort to give away this years tax refund I bought a 4 bank dual pro charger, sea clear power harness and an additional group 27 90ah deep cycle battery and had it all in$$$talled. They even went so far as to move the power poles off my cranking battery to one of my trolling motor batteries to ease the draw on the cranking battery so they told me. Now comes the on the water test. Was on the water only about 7 hours, which I usually am on 8-10 hours. Get it back in storage, plug in the charger, my cranking battery is already blinking green like it will be done charging in a few mins, The trolling motor batteries are down to 30%, but the dedicated 90ah battery for the electronics is down to only 10% remaining and I didn't a fish a typical day, but i did not get low voltage warnings either. Obviously the issue is following the electronics, but what could it be??? I find it hard to believe, even though I don't have Lithium batteries this should be expected or normal. Any seasoned Ideas before I go broke chasing this ghost??? Semper Fi
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

2. Member
    Take each unit 'off' the battery for electronics and use the good ol' process of elimination by seeing how long battery holds up. For some reason my jackplate was running the battery down and was not on the master on/off switch. Put another switch in for the jackplate and now have 3 switches to throw when charging but battery lasts as it should now. Took a bit to track it down but well worth it.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rangerdeepv View Post
    Take each unit 'off' the battery for electronics and use the good ol' process of elimination by seeing how long battery holds up. For some reason my jackplate was running the battery down and was not on the master on/off switch. Put another switch in for the jackplate and now have 3 switches to throw when charging but battery lasts as it should now. Took a bit to track it down but well worth it.
    Thanks will give that a shot
    Dwight B
    Semper Fi
    2023 Ranger Z520R, Merc 250HP Pro XS,
    Lowrance HDS LIVE 12 Console and Bow Active Target, Dual 8ft Blade Series Power Poles,
    TH-Marine Atlas Jack Plate's 10" Setback

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Around 7.5A for the electronics. Sounds about like the consumption I’d expect.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

I would combine the “electronics” battery and the “cranking” battery into 1 giant battery with jumper wires in parallel. If your load is around 7.5 amps and you combine the 2 batteries you will have around 190ah of power which should last you a good 20 hours or more before low voltage alarms. Now you see why lithium with Bluetooth is so popular.

2023 Ford F150 XLT Super Crew 2.7L Ecoboost FX4
    2021 Phoenix 721/ Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    HDS16 Pro- Solix15 : Console
    HDS16 Pro W/AT - Garmin 126 W/ lvs34 - Solix12/ 360 : Bow
    Dual 10' Blades/ Lowrance Ghost/ Bobs Hydraulic Plate
    225ah cranking / 100ah trolling. Ionic/Relion lithium

MLF Invitationals Angler
    Instagram @brettcarnright

6. Member
    Active target will use a lot of power. I would suggest that you put it on a accessory switch by itself so when not in use you’ll be able to turn it off.

Quote Originally Posted by Workforfish View Post
    Active target will use a lot of power. I would suggest that you put it on a accessory switch by itself so when not in use you’ll be able to turn it off.
    This is misunderstood. The box uses less than .5 amps. The transducer uses around 1 amp. Stopping the transducer is all thats needed.

8. Member
    90 ah is approximately 216 RC. That is really quite large, and that group 27 should have no problem running your electronics for a lot longer than that. First thing I would do is test that battery. Disconnect everything from it, bring it to full charge, and then check if for voltage about 12 hours later. If it checks out fine, then I would do as Rangerdeepv suggested above. What is the type and brand of that group 27 deep cycle battery?
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

Quote Originally Posted by catdude28 View Post
    90 ah is approximately 216 RC. That is really quite large, and that group 27 should have no problem running your electronics for a lot longer than that. First thing I would do is test that battery. Disconnect everything from it, bring it to full charge, and then check if for voltage about 12 hours later. If it checks out fine, then I would do as Rangerdeepv suggested above. What is the type and brand of that group 27 deep cycle battery?
    It probably didn’t drain the battery to 10%. You can’t go off what the charger says for % life. I hook up batteries and it says 10 30% all the time and within a few minutes it’s up to 70%. What he needs to do is measure voltage prior to his day and then measure voltage again when he gets back to the dock. That voltage level will give you a much better reading of how much % dead the battery is.

MLF Invitationals Angler

Listen to CatFan, Ohms law, & Murthy’s law say you have too much power consumption for the 90ah battery to last a full day. Even if you had a group 31 X2, it would not last. Your best option is to parallel your Cranking battery to your house battery,

What motor on this boat, need to know what charging we are dealing with?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    What motor on this boat, need to know what charging we are dealing with?
    His signature says 225 pro xs 2 stroke.

MLF Invitationals Angler