Thread: Spoils/ Cats

Spoils/ Cats

My wife, son and I are heading down over Easter weekend, we did it last year and had a good time. I have not been to the spoils since the harbor was done up. The last I went was when you went in and curved around and came to the bridge. Now that it has been finished, is it marked to go the bridge or how do you run it to get to the bridge and up to the spoils?

Also, we are going fishing, not just for bass. Last year we parked in Greenway and threw raw shrimp and they had a blast catching cats. We didn't get any huge ones, but a lot between 5 and 9lbs. Can any cat guys share a way or spot that is good to get one of those giant blue cats that live there. I would love to see one of them pulling back on a rod.

I appreciate any help and have a good one!

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jcuts9 View Post
    My wife, son and I are heading down over Easter weekend, we did it last year and had a good time. I have not been to the spoils since the harbor was done up. The last I went was when you went in and curved around and came to the bridge. Now that it has been finished, is it marked to go the bridge or how do you run it to get to the bridge and up to the spoils?

Also, we are going fishing, not just for bass. Last year we parked in Greenway and threw raw shrimp and they had a blast catching cats. We didn't get any huge ones, but a lot between 5 and 9lbs. Can any cat guys share a way or spot that is good to get one of those giant blue cats that live there. I would love to see one of them pulling back on a rod.

I appreciate any help and have a good one!
    If you are launching somewhere down river from the bridge (Piscataway Ft Washington, Marshall Hall) you'll do the same thing as you described, it's still not marked well but making that circle is the way to go. Keep an eye on your depth finder as that channel isn't very wide, especially at low tide.
    I'm not a cat fisherman but I've seen people catch some giants right at the light house point at Fort Washington. If you are planning on going up river past the Spoils be very careful as there is a old pier under water known as Fox Ferry that has taken many a lower unit off of boats, you need to keep to the right were there is a small opening about 20 feet from shore.

Have fun,
    Dave K

3. Member
    Two spots for ya for blue cats in addition to the mouth of Piscataway. And yes, shrimp is a great bait.

First is the north side of the entrance to Pohick Creek. Get as close to the buoys marking the restricted area for the dock with the Army barges.

Second is the just outside the bridge entering Neabsco Creek, fish the channel. Only issue here is boats going out get on plane as soon as they clear the bridge, and many are good size, so the cause a big wake.

The big cats did move with tide like bass, so don’t be afraid to adjust where you are fishing based on the tide.

4. mikesxpress
    For the trophy blue cats you need to net mud shad and cut chunks.

My PB 77lbs.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=547444

5. Member
    Thank You all it is greatly appreciated!

6. Member
    Cat's love cut bait! Although I caught one on a rubber worm in the Nanticoke about 1/2 the size Mike is holding up! Nuts on bass tackle.