Thread: lower unit

lower unit

250 Pro xs
    Serial number 2B735281

So went out Friday heard some noise coming from the motor when it was in gear. pulled out and seen this it is only on one side. Motor has 320 hrs on it has been serviced regularly.

Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Hard to tell what I am looking at! Looks like lower unit lube coming out of a hole in the lower housing. Am I seeing correctly?

3. Member
    No sir all of the paint just popped off in that area. not a spot of oil anywhere.

4. Member
    I would take it to your dealer!

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    As discussed through email, looks like something came loose and lodged under the edge of the FWD gear (tooth from a gear, part of the clutch-dog mechanism, etc).

Usually results in a new gearcase with that type of damage.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Don
    I appreciate your help on this
    Thanks

7. Member
    Just want to give a thumbs up to Bowden Marine for handling everything on this issue. I go pick up the new one mercury sent this week

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery View Post
    Just want to give a thumbs up to Bowden Marine for handling everything on this issue. I go pick up the new one mercury sent this week
    Was it replaced under warranty?

9. Member
    yes it was

Quote Originally Posted by Montgomery View Post
    yes it was
    Glad to hear!

11. Member
    William at Bowden's handle everything. The local mercury rep came and investigated and once it was determined it was no fault of mine a new one was ordered. I think it took about a month to get the new one

12. Member
    these 4S lowers are borderline too light duty for these engines!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mactlman View Post
    these 4S lowers are borderline too light duty for these engines!!
    Probably has more to do with inadequate lube than anything. If care isn't taken to make sure the new lube makes it all the way past the gears/bearings to the front of the case, rechecking and topping off at least 3 times (can even trim up and wait 1-3 minutes between checks), the level may be extremely low.

Pretty impressive gear and clutch set in these, compared to the predecessors.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Probably has more to do with inadequate lube than anything. If care isn't taken to make sure the new lube makes it all the way past the gears/bearings to the front of the case, rechecking and topping off at least 3 times (can even trim up and wait 1-3 minutes between checks), the level may be extremely low.

Don
    With this being said this lower unit was always serviced by an authorized Mercury shop. Does Mercury send out directions to their shops on how they should be doing the lower unit gear case lubricant?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post

Has your stance changed on this Don? There were posts a year or 2 back where you suggested not to do this but only use the level fill method until it trickled out
    2018 TRX 18. 2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8

16. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Yes- though it STILL needs to be at the correct level. I don't recommend trying to "cram" additional lube into the case by filling it when trimmed up (believe that was what was being suggested back then).

I personally will fill to the vent hole, tilt up 20 degrees and rotate propshaft several times, then let it sit for 1-2 minutes.

Return to level, if no fluid at vent, add until it reaches vent.

Repeat above cycle at least two times (by which point there is usually oil at the vent when it's returned to LEVEL position, indicating case is filled to correct level).

That's a great tip! Thanks Don

Quote Originally Posted by mike464 View Post
    That's a great tip! Thanks Don
    X10......Thanks for the detailed explanation Don!

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

19. Member
    Don
    Thanks for explaining.