Gallbladder Surgery?

While on vacation in Florida I had a severe gallbladder attack that required a trip to the ER in West Palm Beach
    The ER staff there was awesome arrived at 6am they immediately started treating me put IV in done CT scan , ultrasound, pain medicine, anti inflammatory, and a antibiotic through IV and was walking out by 9 am so I was able to salvage the rest of my Vacation not 100% but still good enough to enjoy the rest of my Vacation. Just arrived home I have a doctors appointment tomorrow with my dr. What’s the chances they will send me for surgery to have gallbladder removed there is 2 stones 1 small 1 large the small one was trapped in the bile duct causing all the pain
    this is the 3 rd one in 3 years but by far the worse one also what should I expect after surgery not looking forward to it at the beginning of the fishing season Thanks

2. Member
    I had mine removed a few months ago. I had a stone stuck in the duct as well. They had trouble removing mine and had to make a larger incision under my sternum to get it out. I had surgery on a Wednesday morning and was back to work on Monday. I had to sleep in a recliner for the first few days just to be able to get up easier. The pain was not bad. It should not keep you from fishing very long. Hope all goes well.

I had mine out about 25 years ago. I had a couple of minor attacks and felt like if that's all there is to it, I'm not getting the surgery. The 3rd attack felt like I was having a baby! Had the surgery laparoscopically and walked out the next day. Now, it might even be same day surgery. Get it out now and move on.
    "The man of system is apt to be very wise in his own conceit; and is often so enamored with the supposed beauty of his own ideal plan of government that he cannot suffer the smallest deviation from any part of it…He seems to imagine that he can arrange the different members of a great society with as much ease as the hand arranges the different pieces upon a chessboard.” Adam Smith, The Theory of Moral Sentiments

4. Member
    I thought it was no big deal but wasn’t having stones, just lots of heartburn and indigestion. After a few years of having similar issues and doing some reading I’ve concluded I probably should not have had it removed, but if the stones are like kidney stone pain that’s a whole nuther thing!

5. Member
    My surgery was pretty simple. I have had stomach problems in the past and having my gallbladder out made it worse. Anything I ate was going right through me. It gradually got better and it's been about a year since mine was out and I'm pretty much back to my normal. I didn't hardly have any pain from the surgery and I even told them not to give me pain medicine unless they were going to give me something besides zofran for nausea. For me the worst part of the whole deal is that they gave me zofran and pain medicine and it made me sick. For some reason zofran doesn't work on me.

6. Member
    No biggie , but , sometimes stuff runs through me like a goose .

I had mine the Wednesday before Thanksgiving in 2017. Had a light Thanksgiving dinner the next day, went hunting on Friday and drug a deer out of the woods. But I've also heard of people having a lot of issues post-surgery with theirs. I assume it depends on the person and the experience of the surgeon, and how bad the original sludged bilirubin was to begin with.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO

8. Member
    When mine burst I was sick as a dog with stomach pain and throwing up. Wife drove me to hospital and they removed it within a few hours. Stayed overnight , doctor said I was septic, and changed my antibiotics. Went home that night. No problems since, good luck.
    2015 Ranger RT188
    2015 115 PRO XS

9. Member
    Couple guys in my orbit had them removed. If there was a surgery I had to have I would want this one vice many others. Main thing is to rest and not overdue it and play like 21 years old and you should be out fishing in a week.

10. Member
    I had mine removed in 2020. My gallbladder was so bad it had basically quit working. My only issue after removal is if I eat a banana and poptarts I am quickly cleaned out, but that is my only issue.

11. Member
    Mine went so bad that in addition to my gall bladder, they had to take out a chunk of my liver. Doc says GB should have came out 3 weeks prior. I told him I went to the hospital 3 weeks ago because it hurt so bad and all they did was give me pain meds and sent me home. Felt like I got hit with a fast ball right in the upper part of my belly.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

12. Member
    My gallbladder was removed due to a severe bout of pancreatitis where I lost some of my pancreas. The surgery and recovery from surgery was uncomfortable for a day and then easy afterwards. I now have to manage the amount of food I eat more than what I eat. I can eat about anything (except Chik Fil A for some reason) in reasonable quantities, but overeating will cause a frequent visit or two to the bathroom within a few hours. Really rich food probably sets if off quicker and more frequently. The most disappointing aspect of having no gallbladder is that no matter what type of fiber I add to my diet, I still crap like a deer most mornings that includes a bunch of effort. Never had a hemorrhoid in my life I had to have one removed a year after my surgery.

13. Member
    Appointment with surgeon tomorrow. Hopefully we get it scheduled pretty quick I’m ready to be back to normal this sucks

14. Member
    I had mine removed 30 years ago and it’s amazing at some of the foods that you will not be able to tolerate post surgery. I found out pretty quick that iceberg lettuce, or ice cream from DQ will be almost like prepping for a colonoscopy ��

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by R83steve View Post
    I had mine removed 30 years ago and it’s amazing at some of the foods that you will not be able to tolerate post surgery. I found out pretty quick that iceberg lettuce, or ice cream from DQ will be almost like prepping for a colonoscopy ��
    ......... Sorry to laugh ...but ..that is funny !

16. Member
    Best thing I ever did was get it out. Dealt with the attacks for yrs before it brought me to my knees pleading with God. Had it out on Friday was in Vegas for two weeks the next Thursday. Best advice is to be around a bathroom whenever you put anything in your mouth.

17. Member
    I had mine out with the use of a robot on a Monday and was meeting clients on Tuesday. If that's an option it's the way to go in my opinion.