Directional Spark Plug Wires

1B176241 Optimax

In the Mercury Service Manual in the ignition section, there's a picture of spark plug wires. On one side there is support webbing, and this is the side that is supposed to connected to the spark plug.

What would / could happen if 1 or 3 of these were in the wrong direction?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Member
    Do you mean reversed as in spark plug end is on coil? If so it might be possible that you could have voltage leaks on one end or the other. Otherwise the voltage for spark would be the same in either direction.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

3. Member
    Yes, that is what I meant. I've been tracking down an issue, or multiple issues that I'm uncovering as I go. Guess I'll have to update another thread. LOL, always something.

If I was to chance a guess, I'd say it doesn't matter. I think the reinforced end is for the spark plug end because it gets pulled off annually.

Honora Primum Vel Nullum Omnin Honorem

5. Member
    gusset end goes on spark plug ^^^^^+1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    And it's there just to help make sure the boot doesn't come apart on you.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    Thanks everyone. Your all's answers reaffirmed what I thought. Was just hoping it may have been something so simple :)

This is what I've been chasing with help from others.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1198551