Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    Experienced it on Lake Norman several years ago. Could here the humming and then the line floating in the air. Made the run back to the ramp, got the boat loaded and all hell broke loose. Hail covered the floor of the boat to where you couldn't see the carpet.

2. Member
    I was fishing offshore with the sun still out throwing a swimbait so my rod was low. All at once all the hair on my head stood up. I knelt down and reeled in as fast as I could and when I raised my rod to lay it down it sung from static.
    The tall ridge to the left was blocking view of the thunderstorm that was brewing. I stayed low and grabbed the ultrex remote to troll over towards the bank. Luckily the storm cut across the lake at a 45 degree angle below me so I didn't get wet but it sure did look mean.

Had it happen on Grand several years ago. Made a cast, line stayed in the air and rod started to sing...scared the hell out of me. Reeled in fast and we headed for the bank...lightning struck a tree a little over 1/4 mile away. I think I shat myself...

I had that happen to me once. When that line just hung in the air, made my Blue Jeans - Brown!
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

5. Member
    I was co-angler in a boat when the static happened. Could hear the booming and cracking coming just over the trees. I asked the boater if he was worried about a lightning strike. He said "when its your time to go its your time". Some very deep thoughts there. Marble sized hail hit us when we got back to the ramp.
    2020 Ranger Z521C, 2019 Mercury Pro XS 4 stroke
    2016 Ford F-250 Super Duty Lariat
    Winona Lake, IN

6. Member
    Never on the water but when I was playing Senior League baseball I was in right field and all of a sudden, ALL the hair on my body lifted up. Yelled time out and ran to the dugout showing the coach my arms. They pulled everyone off the field and a few minutes later storm popped up out of nowhere. Our center fielder also felt what he said was "a weird feeling" on his skin at the same time.

Did have to take shelter once on Weiss Lake, we saw and heard it coming and had plenty of time to get under an open dock to wait it out. Guy I was fishing with had an aluminum boat, so he is very sensitive to weather.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by donpilot View Post
    Sounds like you were in line for the first strike.
    This. I had a similar experience on a lake in Maine. We had just arrived at Cobbsee and put in at the camp. We went out to the lighthouse to start fishing. I was standing in the boat stringing a 7 ft boron rod. As soon as I made it to the top I got lit up. Once it happened I hit the floor. The guy I was with who was running the boat laughed at me. The storm was not upon us but the air was thick and felt highly charged.

I was working as a welder in a shop at the time. The owner was an electrical engineer. I told him what happened when I returned from vacation. He said the charge was looking for a place to download and you were it.
    Last edited by mattmann7; 03-29-2023 at 03:41 PM.

8. Member
    "when its your time to go its your time".

One of the most Ignorant statement someone can use to justify foolishness. CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

9. Member
    When you get the warning signs, static is building in the air and you need to set the rod down and get low if you can.!

10. #FRB
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    "when its your time to go its your time".

One of the most Ignorant statement someone can use to justify foolishness. CJ
    Good nominees for a Darwin award. Lightning scares the crap out of me especially out on the water in an aluminum boat.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    I dont play with any of that stuff. I would have ran away or put it on the trailer

12. Member
    Lightning usually hits the tallest thing around. Let's see, if you are in a boat on a lake, that might just be you.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    It is all fun and games until your rod starts singing and your line stays in the air.
    Woody

14. Michigan Bass Club Moderator CGWright's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Judson1 View Post
    Didn’t really know what to do.
    Should have left and bought a lottery ticket. You definitely got lucky.

To report any post you disagree with press Alt + F4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12