Ranger R93 Performance Question?

I have a 99 Ranger R93 with a Mercury 200EFi. This is my 2nd bass boat, I had a older 20ft Champion with the same 200EFI motor on it. I'm not really a guy who is all about top speed, hole shot, and etc. The Ranger is new to me and I have only had it out a few times. It has performed well. It is a little slow out of the hole, but nothing too bad. Yesterday, I fished my first tournament out of it. Loaded with equipment, gas, water in live well, and 2 people, it was very sluggish coing out of the hole. I don't know my prop's pitch, but it is a Mercury Trophy Plus 4 blade. I did notice when I floored it my RPM would only go up to about 4000 unit it got on plane then I could get my RPM's up to over 5000. I generally only run at about 4000-4200 RPM on plane and thar pushed me at about 40-43mph. I'm not much about speed but I had it up to about 52 mph loaded running about 5K. It there something I should look at to maybe help a little when I'm loaded down.

Also I have notice, that the motor has a hard time pushing the boat on the trailer when loading back at the ramp

Thanks for any input

2. Member
    If that is a 2.5 200, they aren’t known for bottom end torque. Also, loading your boat for a tournament is likely going to affect performance some compared to just one person, half tank of gas, ect. Trophy’s are good props but are known to load hard. I ran a 23 trophy and I found a 23 three blade tempest to run better out of the hole, and all the way around, for me. 3500-4000rpm out of the hole is good, if you aren’t blowing out your rpm’s are correct on holeshot. If it were me I’d start by lightening my load, and balancing the boat out. Depending on where your rpm’s are at wide open, and considering you don’t open it up much, you might want to consider dropping a pitch on your prop.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by r83srock View Post
    If that is a 2.5 200, they aren’t known for bottom end torque. Also, loading your boat for a tournament is likely going to affect performance some compared to just one person, half tank of gas, ect. Trophy’s are good props but are known to load hard. I ran a 23 trophy and I found a 23 three blade tempest to run better out of the hole, and all the way around, for me. 3500-4000rpm out of the hole is good, if you aren’t blowing out your rpm’s are correct on holeshot. If it were me I’d start by lightening my load, and balancing the boat out. Depending on where your rpm’s are at wide open, and considering you don’t open it up much, you might want to consider dropping a pitch on your prop.

What do you mean "Blowing Out Your RPM's"

4. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    “If you aren’t blowing out, your rpm’s are correct on holeshot.” Placement of the comma makes a difference. Or to put it another way, your rpms on hole shot are correct if you’re not blowing out. Blowing out refers to a condition of extreme cavitation, where the prop has lost efficient grip on the water and is blowing a lot of air. When blown out or cavitating, rpms read artificially high but forward progress is reduced.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

5. Member
    My 2000 R93VS came with a 200 Opti and a 25 pitch Tempest Plus. Fully loaded she still shot out of the hole and ran like a stripped ass ape (70 plus). The prop had plugs in all holes with the small openings. I tried a 24 Trophy Plus set up the same way, and the hole shot was very long and drawn out and I lost 5mph on the top end and it loaded hard also. Try a Tempest maybe in a 23 or 24 pitch and I think you will be impressed how well that hull preforms with it.

6. Member
    Since you have a Trophy Plus, try removing a PVS plug or two and see what it does before buying another prop. Removing them will allow the prop to slip coming out of the hole which will cause it not to lug as much and get you out of the hole faster. If you remove too many or the holes in them are too big, you'll lose too much grip and it'll just spin out. The WOT range on your motor is 5k to 5,800.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Raidermike48 View Post
    My 2000 R93VS came with a 200 Opti and a 25 pitch Tempest Plus. Fully loaded she still shot out of the hole and ran like a stripped ass ape (70 plus). The prop had plugs in all holes with the small openings. I tried a 24 Trophy Plus set up the same way, and the hole shot was very long and drawn out and I lost 5mph on the top end and it loaded hard also. Try a Tempest maybe in a 23 or 24 pitch and I think you will be impressed how well that hull preforms with it.

What is your setup? I have an R91 with an Evinrude 200 HO G1 with a 6 inch JP spinning a 26 Raker HO. Best I've seen is 68 with just me and 1/2 tank and tackle, still trying to dial it in to run 70. Any help would be appreciated.

8. Member
    Need to know prop pitch and prop to pad number. Does it have a plate? Also max rpms at wot

9. Member
    Yes, ditch that trophy and get you a tempest