Cutting a hole in fiberglass

I want to cut a access hole 4'' or 5'' diameter on the inside of my red Skeeter for access. I don't want to chip the paint. Should I use a vertical moving jigsaw or a hole saw and should I tape it. Advice is appreciated. I've drilled into it and installed brackets but never cut a hole.

2. Member
    You could put tape on the fiberglass first. Then take a holesaw and get your pilot hole through. Then run the holesaw in reverse until it’s through the gelcoat. That should prevent it from chipping

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat tyler View Post
    You could put tape on the fiberglass first. Then take a holesaw and get your pilot hole through. Then run the holesaw in reverse until it’s through the gelcoat. That should prevent it from chipping

4. Member
    This, also don't get in a hurry. I have put many a hole in lots of boats installing stuff. Never a problem. I also finish the newly cut hole with a half round file around the edges for safe measure.

5. Member
    Use a new holesaw. Run it in reverse. It will go through very easily and smoothly

6. Member
    this is the only way with a fresh blade also
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

7. Member
    Just like most everyone said.
    1/4 inch drill bit to start, get your correct size holesaw, run in reverse first very slow to start to cut the gelcoat top layer, then run forward again very slow. I never used tape, but it couldn't hurt.

8. Member
    If you need a rectangular hole that going to be cut in from the "show" side, get a reverse-tooth jigsaw blade (made for cutting plastic laminates). Cover the base of the saw with painters tape. Tape out the cut, drill the corners and turn off the orbital action on the saw prior. Watch out for the fibers on the backside!

Ceramic cutoff wheels and diamond hole saws make very clean cuts and do not chip out gel coat. They are a little more expensive but its worth it for the results. Hole saws still needs to be run in reverse. examples below.

https://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/81680324

https://www.mscdirect.com/browse/tnp...3ADiamond+Grit
    2014 X19
    2014 200 SHO

10. Banned
    Go into any good rigging shop and they are running hole saws backwards.

11. Member
    I was terrified to drill into my then brand new Cat, but really wanted to add the Noco charge receptacle. I would rate myself a 2/10 on the handiness scale, and was able to pull this off flawlessly following this technique.
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

12. RIP Evinrude 1907-2020 JR19's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BKF View Post
    Use a new holesaw. Run it in reverse. It will go through very easily and smoothly
    ^this...go slow with light pressure until you get through the gel coat. Once you hit fiberglass put it in forward and go slow with light pressure.

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PMantle View Post
    I was terrified to drill into my then brand new Cat, but really wanted to add the Noco charge receptacle. I would rate myself a 2/10 on the handiness scale, and was able to pull this off flawlessly following this technique.
    Just wait til you have to cut out for a recessed trolling motor and you really cant see what's underneath.
    That takes courage. lol

14. Member
    Use a hole saw and if the area you drill thru has a wood core make sure to seal up that wood after you drill it with either an epoxy for best results or even silicone around the edges. In my (little) bits of experience it seems that the number one cause of rotted boat transom, stringers, decks, etc, is people adding after market holes without sealing the edges or improperly sealed factory holes.