Thermostat what would you do

2b116638 250 pro xs
    On my last day on lake fork I got something in my thermostat. I have vessel view and while idling to boat lane temp would only get to maybe 110 after a long time. Question or problem is I had a long run back to lodge and with 3 foot rollers idling was not a good option. Would you get up on pad but go slow say 3200 rpm. Pulled stats today and found 2 little pieces of wood. I did try stopping engine and turn key on. When temp got over 130 I would start engine and go to try and flush the stats with no luck. Tried several times. Pulling stats on the water isn’t very easy. Would this work

2. Member
    For me, not going to sacrifice my safety for a t-stat issue. IF i need to run it, going to run it like i stole it to do what is ness.

3. Member
    Never had to pull a thermostat before on any other engine. That changed with the opti.

4. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I'm a "pro" at pulling them now.....never had to physically do it on the water but was lucky enough a few times to be by the launch so I pulled it up and fixed in parking lot.....it saved the day.......if I had to do it on the water I'd find a bank and go that route....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

serial number please
    In a pinch idle for a few minutes, bring the boat on the pad at part throttle slowly, give it a few minutes at part throttle before you hammer it.
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-26-2023 at 08:47 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

6. Member
    I may not be fully understanding the issue. Your engine runs 110* and you want it to run higher? My 250 EFI has new thermostats and the engine quickly gets up to 112*, stays there all day if at idle. Last summer it had an alarm for a temp of 120*. It might go up to 114* if on a plane. The alarm sounded once when it hit 120* and I found a thermostat that would not fully open. Replaced it and the motor temp is back to the normal 112-114* as monitored on the Vessel View. Your engine temps got to 130* because it was off and had no water flow, which is normal. What temp do you expect it to run? I don't think the engine uses thermostats after it gets up in RPM, it uses the poppet valve.

Quote Originally Posted by Proline25 View Post
    I may not be fully understanding the issue. Your engine runs 110* and you want it to run higher? My 250 EFI has new thermostats and the engine quickly gets up to 112*, stays there all day if at idle. Last summer it had an alarm for a temp of 120*. It might go up to 114* if on a plane. The alarm sounded once when it hit 120* and I found a thermostat that would not fully open. Replaced it and the motor temp is back to the normal 112-114* as monitored on the Vessel View. Your engine temps got to 130* because it was off and had no water flow, which is normal. What temp do you expect it to run? I don't think the engine uses thermostats after it gets up in RPM, it uses the poppet valve.
    You sir have problem, start a new thread, yours alarmed because it did not come up to 125 deg within 5 minutes at low rpm, get this fixed now as this could cause a cold seizure on #6 cylinder
    Once water presure goes up to about 10 psi the thermostats are bypassed and temps will run lower than 125
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-27-2023 at 09:36 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

8. Member
    I think Leon posted the way to try and flush them out by letting it heat up awhile back. Thx Leon you have my respect

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lpugh View Post
    You sir have problem, start a new thread, yours alarmed because it did come to 125 deg within 5 minutes at low rpm, get this fixed now as this could cause a cold seizure on #6 cylinder
    Once water presure goes up to about 10 psi the thermostats are bypassed and temps will run lower than 125
    spell check didnt come to 125 , ^^^^^ +1 problem
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Thanks Joe
    Thank You Leon Pugh

11. Member
    Leon. Is there anything else I could do to try and flush them on the water.

with 2 pairs of pinch off pliers, you can pinch the dump hose from the stats and run the motor at idle till gets to about 170 drgrees, this should cause the stats to fully open releasing the derbis, then remove the clamps, sometimes this will work
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-27-2023 at 04:32 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

13. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I personally won't exceed 1500 RPM's on one of these if it won't come up to operating temperature. Think about this: At 6000 RPM's, the piston rings are passing the exhaust port 12,000 per minute.

That's 200 times per second.

That's a lot of opportunities for a ring to hang if things haven't come up to proper operating temp, and IMHO, it's perhaps the single-highest cause of powerhead fatality in these engines.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

14. Member
    I agree with you Don. I also like Leon’s idea in a pinch. Should be able to take off once clamps are pulled

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1ranger487vs View Post
    I agree with you Don. I also like Leon’s idea in a pinch. Should be able to take off once clamps are pulled
    I did this years ago figured it would work. Tried several times never did work.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

16. Member
    Don’t mind pulling them at home. Ran into this situation and trying to figure out what i can do to get back in if it would happen again

17. Member
    i also have used flush method some worked (probly had small debri ) some that didnt those had enough wood to build a small home and shed for boat out back , we have some lakes that the whole bottom is wood and saw dust from prop trimmings
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

You can clean them on the water. I fish a lot of dirty lakes and seem to always pick up debris. I would carry several sets of gaskets for the thermostats. I could have it done in 10-15 mins. It is easiest if you can find a nearby dock though.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

19. Member
    I appreciate all the support. I had 2 chips of wood bark in mine probably from tree top’s idling in deep water. Anybody block off the front holes ? Never had this issue with any other engine and I know I am not alone. Are other engines designed differently.