Thread: Trailer Height?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Trailer Height?

Hey guys. I'm curious to get your thoughts.... My trailer fender seems to be sitting very close to the tires. I'm concerned too close. What could be the issue? It's the same on both sides.

PXL_20230326_125325106.jpg
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

2. Scraps
    Almost looks like the axle's not centered on the fender, or vice versa. Not familiar with the specific trailer, if it's a torsion axle, maybe the bushings are shot.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    I recently had the same problem. One of the bolts holding the fender on rubbed a tire. Luckily I noticed it before a blow out. I had to replace the springs. Mine is a 2016 RT188. It’s been a problem for several trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post
    Hey guys. I'm curious to get your thoughts.... My trailer fender seems to be sitting very close to the tires. I'm concerned too close. What could be the issue? It's the same on both sides.

That looks like a 2013 or 2014 trailer and it can be just the way they attached the fender. However, it could be a weak spring, it is a known issue with that series trailer.
    Ranger redesigned the trailer in 2015 and beefed it up considerably, but kept the same springs. I replaced my 2014 trailer in 2018 and had to replace the springs within a year.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

Quote Originally Posted by krindgen View Post
    Almost looks like the axle's not centered on the fender, or vice versa. Not familiar with the specific trailer, if it's a torsion axle, maybe the bushings are shot.
    Not torsion, but the fender could have been mounted slightly off centered. I'll have to look to see if it's adjustable.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged View Post
    I recently had the same problem. One of the bolts holding the fender on rubbed a tire. Luckily I noticed it before a blow out. I had to replace the springs. Mine is a 2016 RT188. It’s been a problem for several trailers.
    I'll check that out, but I didn't see any bolts near the tire itself. I'm thinking of just replacing the springs and seeing if that helps
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Reynolds View Post
    That looks like a 2013 or 2014 trailer and it can be just the way they attached the fender. However, it could be a weak spring, it is a known issue with that series trailer.
    Ranger redesigned the trailer in 2015 and beefed it up considerably, but kept the same springs. I replaced my 2014 trailer in 2018 and had to replace the springs within a year.
    Yup - you are correct, 2014. I might try and find beefier springs that will fit.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Smith Mountain Lake, VA and a cottage in Ontario
    Pretty typical look for a 2014 trailer, putting a bit beefier springs or a longer shackle will give you more clearance. Its pretty straight forward to do.
    2018 Ranger RT188 SC Black/115 hp Yamaha SHO 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - north
    2018 Ranger RT188 DC Black/115 hp Merc Pro XS 4-stroke; Garmin LVS34 - south
    14' Mirrorcraft tin boat (ancient) with a 9.9 Mercury 4-stroke, no electronics; catches fish anyway

Quote Originally Posted by tcesni View Post
    Pretty typical look for a 2014 trailer, putting a bit beefier springs or a longer shackle will give you more clearance. Its pretty straight forward to do.
    Thank you sir! I think a longer shackle would need to be welded on, correct?
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

10. Member
    I was going to put longer shackles on until I inspected the springs The springs had lost their arch and probably going to break in the near future B267AC9F-EDF8-407A-BD08-A6A5D888F252.jpeg430FBF9D-6F28-4675-BD47-8DA5055A0476.jpeg

Quote Originally Posted by Snagged View Post
    I was going to put longer shackles on until I inspected the springs The springs had lost their arch and probably going to break in the near future B267AC9F-EDF8-407A-BD08-A6A5D888F252.jpeg430FBF9D-6F28-4675-BD47-8DA5055A0476.jpeg
    I notice the new spring has 6 leafs as opposed to 3. Does it have the same weight rating?

12. Member
    I notice the new spring has 6 leafs as opposed to 3. Does it have the same weight rating?
    Bill my son took the old springs to a local trailer shop and these were what they recommended. I think they’re rated at 3500 LB. I did have to get new longer U bolts. It rides really good.

13. Member
    2015 Trailer for me with the same issue. Just straight up manufactured wrong.

I ended up cutting off the spring pad and the U bolt plates and redrilling them to slide the axle forward centering it better See post #6 for how I fixed https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1211801

Quote Originally Posted by atljar View Post
    2015 Trailer for me with the same issue. Just straight up manufactured wrong.

I ended up cutting off the spring pad and the U bolt plates and redrilling them to slide the axle forward centering it better See post #6 for how I fixed https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1211801
    Good info! Thank you!
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Quote Originally Posted by mattfish11 View Post

UPDATE:

I really didn't know how this would work but I ordered a new set of springs (2k capacity each) and I ordered longer shackle links. Simple install and I love the outcome. More clearance between the tire and fender as well as more centered than before. I'd call it a success!

PXL_20230404_223609398.MP.jpg

PXL_20230404_223557077.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230404_223616680.MP.jpg
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

16. Member
    how long are the new shackles verses the old ones ? I think I am having the same issue and might do some upgrading .

Quote Originally Posted by jkirch View Post
    how long are the new shackles verses the old ones ? I think I am having the same issue and might do some upgrading .
    I went from 2.25" shackle links to 3.5". These measurements are hole to hole.

PXL_20230405_191334188.MP.jpg
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

18. Member
    Yep very nice good catch

Quote Originally Posted by Johnnyred View Post
    Yep very nice good catch
    Mattfish,

one of the loading problems I have been unable to resolve relates to the RT trailer needing to load shallow. On the shallow angle ramps, the motor skeg drags when trying to power load that last few inches to the bow roller and there is so much friction between the transom and rear bunks that I cannot winch it up.

Adding the other two bunks seems to make this worse and I am considering cutting them short and stopping at the second cross member. Their main purpose is center the bow anyway. After adding the centering roller, I question their effectiveness and May remove them as a test.

I am wondering if adding the longer spring shackles would allow me to back in deeper and still be able to center up the boat on those shallow ramps. Seems reasonable but would like your input.

Mattfish,

one of the loading problems I have been unable to resolve relates to the RT trailer needing to load shallow. On the shallow angle ramps, the motor skeg drags when trying to power load that last few inches to the bow roller and there is so much friction between the transom and rear bunks that I cannot winch it up.

Adding the other two bunks seems to make this worse and I am considering cutting them short and stopping at the second cross member. Their main purpose is center the bow anyway. After adding the centering roller, I question their effectiveness and May remove them as a test.

I am wondering if adding the longer spring shackles would allow me to back in deeper and still be able to center up the boat on those shallow ramps. Seems reasonable but would like your input.
    I think adding the longer shackle links might not make any difference in your case. I typically load shallow as well, because it helps me center the boat on the bunks correctly. I have no problem typically with winching the last several feet. If you struggle with winching, I suggest maybe loading as shallow as possible to get everything lined up and once you are half way on the trailer - hop out and back the truck up another few feet. This will make winching the rest of the way easier for you. It take a little more time, but better than scratching up or damaging the skeg.
    2014 Ranger RT188
    Mercury Fourstroke

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast