LOWRANCE HDS CARBON YELLOW WIRE QUESTION

Does the yellow wake of wire have to be connected to the same post as the fused power cord from the HDS display?Or how else is better? Carbon Install manual not clear on this.
    when I leave boat for few days,i like everything electronic turned off with no power on, except my bilge pump float switch connected via fuse to start battery.
    reason I ask is even with both main on/off blue seas switch off and my blue seas battery switch set to off, i must have some voltage causing the yellow wire to wake up my units(have 2 of them on same post).
    yellow wake up wire is connected to blue seas fuse block positive side, it gets its power from what I can see from the main on/off switch.
    Just looking for ideas on what is best way to wire things up so units get no energy connected to them until I power up.
    if this question has been addressed before, perhaps I can get direction to that thread
    thanks
    John

The yellow wire in the HDS pigtail is a wake up wire for accessories like Active Target or the LSS, it does not go to a power source. It is an output wire, not an input. If your battery is going dead with your main power switch off you have either a bad battery or something wired up on the battery side of the switch.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    Does the yellow wake of wire have to be connected to the same post as the fused power cord from the HDS display?Or how else is better? Carbon Install manual not clear on this.
    when I leave boat for few days,i like everything electronic turned off with no power on, except my bilge pump float switch connected via fuse to start battery.
    reason I ask is even with both main on/off blue seas switch off and my blue seas battery switch set to off, i must have some voltage causing the yellow wire to wake up my units(have 2 of them on same post).
    yellow wake up wire is connected to blue seas fuse block positive side, it gets its power from what I can see from the main on/off switch.
    Just looking for ideas on what is best way to wire things up so units get no energy connected to them until I power up.
    if this question has been addressed before, perhaps I can get direction to that thread
    thanks
    John
    1. Does the yellow wake of wire have to be connected to the same post as the fused power cord from the HDS display? No. It can be connected to any 12v source.

2. Or how else is better? If you have an accessory switch on your boat that is the best place for the AT yellow wire connection. It can be connected to the yellow wire of your graph also but be aware that graph always has to be on for the AT to work, and your AT will also always be running when that graph is on even when you don't want it to. Another option is to connect your AT red and yellow together and put them on a switched positive power buss.

3. Just looking for ideas on what is best way to wire things up so units get no energy connected to them until I power up. Connect the AT Yellow to an accessory switch. In this way you can operate or turn off the AT completely independently from any other electronic on the boat.
    ciao,
    Marc

To the OP, are you refering to the yellow wire in the HDS pigtail or the yellow wire in an accessory box?

5. Member
    thanks Marc and Justin for quick reply, and yellow wire clarification.
    So as you say Yellow wire in pigtail sends its own output{power) to what ever it is connected to in network.
    is it a 12volt voltage or something else?Guess I can check with a voltmeter.
    and I dont have a AT module or transducer, just a Sonichub2 for am/fm/sirius and a SS3d for transom mounted SS3D transducer. trying to avoid another switch like the mentioned Accessory switch.So when I turn off HDS displays I assume I am turning off the modules connected to it.
    I think you are right that I have something else wired to power.I do have a NEMA2K setup for sirius antenna and fuel data manger with power ,could this be sending power voltage to HDS even thou switches are off?
    if not I will have to search under console for some connection of 12 volt source to yellow wire.
    thanks
    john

6. Member
    My apologies; I was thinking yellow wire from an Active Target box.

If you have a Point-1 without a switch, it will pull power 24/7. I don't have the sirius antenna so don't know for a fact, but it might also pull power 24/7 (check the manual on Lowrance's web site under downloads).

Your HDS unit will allow an accessory to be powered by the HDS yellow wire, but that accessory will always be powered whenever the HDS has power as I stated above.

Your NMEA 2000 network red wire should go to a switched buss so it is shut off when the boat is not used (this will shut off power to a Point-1 and to the Sirius antenna).
    ciao,
    Marc

Quote Originally Posted by johnwater View Post
    thanks Marc and Justin for quick reply, and yellow wire clarification.
    So as you say Yellow wire in pigtail sends its own output{power) to what ever it is connected to in network.
    is it a 12volt voltage or something else?Guess I can check with a voltmeter.
    and I dont have a AT module or transducer, just a Sonichub2 for am/fm/sirius and a SS3d for transom mounted SS3D transducer. trying to avoid another switch like the mentioned Accessory switch.So when I turn off HDS displays I assume I am turning off the modules connected to it.
    I think you are right that I have something else wired to power.I do have a NEMA2K setup for sirius antenna and fuel data manger with power ,could this be sending power voltage to HDS even thou switches are off?
    if not I will have to search under console for some connection of 12 volt source to yellow wire.
    thanks
    john

John
    Yes, the yellow wire (in your hds pigtail) will have voltage on it when your HDS is on. I don't know how much as I've never checked mine. It is a "wake up" wire for accessories, if, for instance you install an Active target the power cord pig tail for it will have red, black and yellow wires. The red goes to a fused power source, black to ground and the yellow goes to the yellow in your HDS pigtail. When the HDS is powered on it will send voltage through the yellow wire to the Active Target to "wake it up".

Yes, your NMEA network needs 12v, I have mine on a switch.