Cylinder #4 issue

250 PRO XS Serial number 1B839289
    i checked condition of my plugs last week and notice cyl. 4 plug is very black. I swapped the plug and the coil from cyl 2 and 4. After fishing today, pulled cyl. 2 and 4 and cylinder 4 is still producing a sooted plug and the plug and coil swapped from 4 to 2 look good. So coil and plug is good. Yellow49BD3758-AB1A-457C-AF5E-BF6965B1B701.jpeg box shows the plug in question. Is this an injector problem? Thanks for the help.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Possibly, Check availble voltage with a KV tester, should bridge a .625 gap before misfiring, Mist the plug wire and coil check for spark leakage. Inspect that coil carefully for cracks and or whitish material that looks like it oozed out of the coil
    Thank You Leon Pugh

3. Member
    Thanks for the response Leon. As I stated in my post, I swapped the coil and plug from cylinder 4 to cylinder 2 and the problem remained at cyl. 4. It did change the results.
    ‘appreciate it.

4. Member
    compression on #4, reed inspection ,sleeve inspection , fuel air psi test will show a leaking injector
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    compression on #4, reed inspection ,sleeve inspection , fuel air psi test will show a leaking injector

^^^^^

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    Joe/Don, could this due to bad tracker valve? I noticed yesterday that I have coming fuelout of Schafer valve on port rail.Thank you
    Last edited by LaTriton; 03-28-2023 at 10:02 PM. Reason: Cleaned dialogue

7. Member
    while not impossible but all cyls should be rich , would inspect tracker first ,but any air leak /stuck open direct inj can cause that also
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Problem is most likely on the port side, as Joe is suggesting. Injector, air leak, injector o-rings, fuel pressure regulator, etc.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    I have been using the search function and see that people have put compressed air into the the Schrader valve to locate air leaks. Do I put air in the starboard side, port side or both? If so how much pressure and could I use soapy water to spray to locate the area of the leak? Thank you gentlemen

10. Member
    port /air only ,leak is likely internal soap may not show it , fuel air psi test is needed first to determine if you have a leak at all with correct gages

11. Member
    thank you Joe, I am working on getting some glycerin filled gauges.

12. Member

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JOE54 View Post
    Joe, what is meant when you say a sleeve inspection.

14. Member
    for rotation /spun

If you want to see pictorial check this thread out. Kept these master techs busy and up late.

https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread...Rotated+sleeve
    2013 BassCat Cougar
    Serial # 1B962763

16. Member
    whyd you have to bring that up , i thought we were tight ,