Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Xr6 on engine oil reservoir not priming

2005 XR6
    SN#1B191972
    As stated in title on engine oil reservoir not priming currently around 3/4 of a tank. Steps taken so-far to diagnose
    1. air coming form check valve at bottom of engine - YES
    2. air coming from air supply hose prior to in bilge oil tank - YES
    3. screen at bottom of pick up clean - YES
    4. oil comes out of hose barb leaving oil tank - YES
    5. oil comes out of hose at union prior to entering engine - YES
    6. oil comes out of hose with in-line brass T when remove from on engine reservoir and when horizontal to engine - YES
    7. re attached to on engine reservoir - NO oil enters tank
    8. removed line but kept vertical - NO oil
    9. worked steps 4-6 in reverse with out oil anywhere.

In addition
    1. I sprayed top of in bilge tank and caps with soapy water to check for leaks - Didnt notice any issues
    2. oil in tank looks aerated after motor running for a bit.

Prior to maliciously throwing parts at this thing I wanted to look for opinions, my thoughts would be the check valve leaving engine has an issue, allowing airflow however failing when pressure builds. Is part number 21-878105 1 correct?

Thanks, Tyler!
    Last edited by Gabassman; 03-25-2023 at 05:45 PM.

I unscrewed the oil cap on the motor and it fills up in a few minutes. If the oil cap is screwed on it takes forever to fill a few inches. If it fills with the cap unscrewed, most likely the check valve near the engine oil tank is bad.
    Last edited by hchi; 03-25-2023 at 07:27 PM.

Allison 2003
    225 Supermag
    Mazco RE29/Trophy 26

3. Member
    Does not fill either way. With cap on or off. My assumption is the bilge area tank is not receiving or holding enough pressure to push oil to the engine tank.

4. Member
    possible air leak in tank cracked filter stem below res cap , oil should flow from hose connection on top of engine tank pretty quick with engine running at idle
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Member
    I think JOE nailed it..... I have an XR6 and the oil never looks aerated in either oil tank, even after running it thru chop. I would start there, maybe crack in the pick up tube.

6. Member
    Blockage in tank where hose hooks to on engine tank??

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    Blockage in tank where hose hooks to on engine tank??
    .4 oil comes out of hose barb top of tank
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Member
    So oil makes it to the top tank? The one on the engine? But doesn’t fill it? Is that correct? See #7
    Last edited by hooken203; 03-28-2023 at 11:41 AM.

9. Member
    yep with cap on possibly not enough pressure /volume to maintain level in engine res, slow flow

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooken203 View Post
    So oil makes it to the top tank? The one on the engine? But doesn’t fill it? Is that correct? See #7
    During my testing it made it out of the hose disconnected from the engine mounted tank. Reconnected, no oil into engine mounted tank. Disconnected hose again and did not get any oil. Seems there is an intermittent pressure issue.

11. Member
    are you loosening cap on engine tank to allow for oil flow/ bleed air from tank,,,, how long did you allow for oil to flow from hose , possible air in line , check for split air psi hose from engine to boat tank also ,pressurize boat tank from hose connection at engine valve see if oil flows- cap loose , USE 3-4 LBS MAX VERY LOW PSI

12. Member
    Installed a new check valve today and still did not get any oil flow. So I decided to check the air side again. With the new check valve there was no air flow I could feel. Put a vacuum/pressure tester on the check valve and was getting a vacuum see the attached photo.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Gabassman; 03-30-2023 at 08:15 PM.

Can you easily blow thru check valve from then threaded side and not thru the line side?
    Thank You Leon Pugh

14. Member
    This is a brand new check valve. So no I did not try to blow through it. However the old one that came off can be blown through the threaded side easily and little air can be blown from the line side….barely

Quote Originally Posted by Gabassman View Post
    This is a brand new check valve. So no I did not try to blow through it. However the old one that came off can be blown through the threaded side easily and little air can be blown from the line side….barely
    Your old one is working as designed.
    Don't assume new is always good.
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-31-2023 at 06:48 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

16. Member
    I would not say the old was working as designed. I did reinstall and check with pressure tester where I got a wide range of vacuum/pressure swings in the readings. There is a possibility the new valve may be faulty aswell, not allowing out flow.

Use a dampened gauge and tee into the line allowing the tank and line to work as an accumulator, I see good one do the same thing with one of my cheap gauges, dampened snap on gauge smooths it all out.
    Not seeing what you see but there is very small amount of backflow to bleed system down with motor off, not much but detectable when blowing thru it
    To pressure test if in doubt use accurate no more than 4 psi regulated air pressure and check oil to the motor tank, if no flow, soapy water test every thing
    Last edited by lpugh; 03-31-2023 at 07:22 AM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

18. Member
    So I pulled the new check valve to check the pressure on the old one. I noticed the new check valve to be full of oil/gas mix blocking air flow when blowing. I got the oil/gas out and it worked as intended. Kinda confused as to what would be causing the fuel to enter and clog the valve. Possible reed valve issue?

19. Member
    possible yes , bleed system , flooding carb are some others so now do you have oil flowing into engine tank with cap LOOSE ????

20. Member
    No oil flowing into tank with loose cap.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast