Bobs solid motor mounts install issues

I helped a friend install bobs solid motor mounts on his 1991 Merc 200 EFI. Ser#OD068759. When we installed them, we put the long side towards the boat and the taper side towards the prop. Everything thing went in ok,but the exhaust plate would not sit flat. The passengers side was tight with no gap and the drivers side had about 1/8 tap. We took he plate back off and cleaned the surfaces. Still did not sit flat. It appeared that the diameter of the mounts are a tad too large. I Watched a YouTube video and the guy who did his said his plate did not sit flat either until he torques the powerhead down. We went against my better judgement and put the powerhead on. The gap did disappear but when we started the motor, water was leaking from both upper mounts. It was kind of squirting out. My next step is to pull the powerhead back off and turn down the diameter of the solid mounts on the lathe. I’m assuming the plate need to sit flat and even. We did replace both gaskets with new quicksilver one. Anyone else run into any problems installing solid mounts? Any advice is appreciated.
    Last edited by hchi; 03-25-2023 at 05:18 PM.

Allison 2003
    225 Supermag
    Mazco RE29/Trophy 26

2. Member
    Plate definitely needs to be flat and tight, exhaust and water goes through those plates. I would assume the mounts for some reason are a tad large as long as they are positioned correctly. Might call bobs and ask them.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

Thanks

Allison 2003
    225 Supermag
    Mazco RE29/Trophy 26

4. Member
    flat and tight +1
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Got it together. I turned the mounts down by .001 inch and put a new water tube o-ring in. The old one was hard as a rock. Did a bunch of dry fitting without the gaskets. Supported the exhaust tower with a jack when the motor mounts sat perfectly flat. Tightened them all up, the exhaust plate was nice and flat with just a small gap towards the front where the engine mounts are. After the gasket was put in, no gap. Torqued everything down and no leaks. Thanks for the tips!

Allison 2003
    225 Supermag
    Mazco RE29/Trophy 26

6. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................