XRS 300r gear case

What gear case are you guys running on a XRS with 300R? I know the 1.75 gears are a better choice but do I need to run a sporty? What’s the best choice. I dont run a super heavy load but I do fish some team stuff. I can run 76-80 loaded with my partner and 78-81 by myself with a 250 4s. Never higher than 3/4 below the pad now. My dealer really has no clue what a bullet needs. Would love to talk to someone who’s ran this combo before spend money.

2. Member
    If you don't plan on running over 85 and just fish i would go with the torquemaster. If you plan on running over 85 i would probably look at the sporty.
    "Luminous beings are we not this crude matter." Yoda

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEZER View Post
    What gear case are you guys running on a XRS with 300R? I know the 1.75 gears are a better choice but do I need to run a sporty? What’s the best choice. I dont run a super heavy load but I do fish some team stuff. I can run 76-80 loaded with my partner and 78-81 by myself with a 250 4s. Never higher than 3/4 below the pad now. My dealer really has no clue what a bullet needs. Would love to talk to someone who’s ran this combo before spend money.

Most everyone with a 300R on an XRS is running the 1.75 sporty and running them 1.5 or more above pad. Your best bet would be to call Tim Powell at Fastbass Marine and he can answer all your questions. These boats will run anywhere from mid 80’s to high 90’s fishing loaded with a sporty 300r.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepy111 View Post
    Most everyone with a 300R on an XRS is running the 1.75 sporty and running them 1.5 or more above pad. Your best bet would be to call Tim Powell at Fastbass Marine and he can answer all your questions. These boats will run anywhere from mid 80’s to high 90’s fishing loaded with a sporty 300r.
    Perfect, Thanks. I had not thought about calling tim.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post
    If you don't plan on running over 85 and just fish i would go with the torquemaster. If you plan on running over 85 i would probably look at the sporty.
    What about a coned TM?
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WranglerSS View Post
    What about a coned TM?
    IMO… I dont think coning a TM is a viable option on a 4S. There are too many shift mechanisms in the Lower unit to void the warranty with a coned lower. Though probably a good performance option its just not worth the risk for me.

7. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    If anyone is looking for a 4s lower unit, I took a small chunk out of my skeg, so the insurance company bought me a new lower unit. My thoughts were to keep it for when I replace my 250 with a 300R because the Sporty sucks on the Eyra and coning a TM might be the ticket.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BEEZER View Post
    IMO… I dont think coning a TM is a viable option on a 4S. There are too many shift mechanisms in the Lower unit to void the warranty with a coned lower. Though probably a good performance option its just not worth the risk for me.
    I bought a Jason Wolf coned lower and running it on my 300R. So far 87 mph with a 30p Bravo at 6400 rpm with 2 people and full load. Getting a 32p Bravo to try next.
    2013 Bullet 21XRD
    2020 Mercury 300R 1E080760
    3 Garmin 126SV
    LVS34/LVS32
    Ultrex with iPilot Link
    8' Raptors

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nightbasser View Post

This. I've got a 300xs instead of the 300r but I'd be much better off with a tourquemaster.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    This. I've got a 300xs instead of the 300r but I'd be much better off with a tourquemaster.
    Unless you’re really wanting to go slow or have a great hole shot under normal propping, Sporty is the way to go. I run from light to heavy tournament loads and I wouldn’t have anything but a Sporty on a 300xs. Just my opinion.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    Unless you’re really wanting to go slow or have a great hole shot under normal propping, Sporty is the way to go. I run from light to heavy tournament loads and I wouldn’t have anything but a Sporty on a 300xs. Just my opinion.
    I'm fishing team tournaments. Loaded down, full tank, full livewells, and a partner a XRS would be really lucky to sniff 85 even with a 300. 83 is the highest I've seen but I am running the engine lower than others in an attempt to keep ears on props and get the boat to handle a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by adam_p View Post
    I'm fishing team tournaments. Loaded down, full tank, full livewells, and a partner a XRS would be really lucky to sniff 85 even with a 300. 83 is the highest I've seen but I am running the engine lower than others in an attempt to keep ears on props and get the boat to handle a little better.
    XRS, I understand. The TM would definitely help with holeshot and low end. Design and weight makes the XRS bow a little harder to get up compared to the other X boats. It weighs 125lbs more than the XD. You’re right, anytime with a heavy load, the TM would be better. The Sporty performs better on the other X boats under normal circumstances.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs