97 Fast Strike Electrical Issues

Well two months and a couple hundred $$ later my fuel issues have been solved by a stupid check valve in the vro 2 pumps. They definitely needed a rebuild as the diaphragms were worn out, but the check valve gasket is what was causing the leak. Motor runs much better however there is still one lingering issue. Motor sounds like a cylinder down up until 1500 rpm then it kicks in and will run great. Go to put it in gear and it will die unless you can shift and get it reved up past 1500 rpms then she runs like normal. If I push in the key for more fuel it bogs and dies. Is this a sign of a bad coil?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Check your plug wires for arcing to the block, put a timing light on each plug wire and see if they are all firing. You can put another $125 into it and replace all three coils. Make sure the power pack ground is tight.

3. Member
    Thinking about just replacing the coils and plug wires. I see on Crowley Marine there’s different lengths for the plug wires. Is that applicable or is there one length that works for all 6 plugs?

Quote Originally Posted by bassonwylie View Post
    Thinking about just replacing the coils and plug wires. I see on Crowley Marine there’s different lengths for the plug wires. Is that applicable or is there one length that works for all 6 plugs?
    The experts will chime in...... but yes there is 3 different lengths to the plug wires. look on your motor, pull the plastic shroud and look at the plugs on one side all three will be different lengths.

5. Member
    I have a set of plug wires for $40 also the coils for$75 plus the ride
    DAVID HIGHTOWER
    CARTERSVILLE, GA.
    1998 TRITON TR-18
    EVINRUDE G2 150 HO

6. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    The experts will chime in...... but yes there is 3 different lengths to the plug wires. look on your motor, pull the plastic shroud and look at the plugs on one side all three will be different lengths.
    Geez if only we could find some.