Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New England Forum Moderator twitch's Avatar

How do you guys work a glide bait??

It seems I have little patience when working a glide bait and it breeches water or breaks out of the water on retrieve I was throwing a 1 oz 5 1/4” slow sinking Savage Gear glide bait any tips or answers ??
    1990 374V Ranger Still kickin' bass after all these years

2. Member
    All glides need to be worked differently, if it’s coming out of the water I’d put some lead tape on it

3. Member
    Was practicing with the Antidote and really wondered the same thing. When I get the cadence right it looks real cool.
    Red Sox in 6!

My best guess is that you are reeling it on a steady retrieve. The trick is to find a cadence and turn the handle and stop, turn the handle stop.
    How quick you do this effects the glide. If you reel ,reel, reel it will come to the top and breach the top of the water. Rod pointed down and not pulling the rod tip in any direction. Make sure line is slack in between reels.

Some of the best strikes come when you stop it on slack line and lure does a 180 in the fishes face and they eat it.

However I always make the first cast to an area and keep the glide near the surface or next to structure doing the reel, reel, reel and keep it just under the surface..
    If no bites or follows I will go back to the area and let it sink to the bottom and then work it back with the reel and stop method.

5. Member
    The best advice I could give you is to slow down, steady reel with slight rod movement. If a fish comes up,pause, then slight twitch. I like glides in colder water, them wakes and others as things warm up.

6. Member
    the running joke of size matters....for me the larger glide baits like a Deps 175 or bigger are allot easier to work than the smaller ones.

A lot depends on how the glide is made and also how the joint is made.

Quote Originally Posted by steve m 1234 View Post
    The best advice I could give you is to slow down, steady reel with slight rod movement. If a fish comes up,pause, then slight twitch. I like glides in colder water, them wakes and others as things warm up.
    Telling Twitch to twitch?

9. Member
    As an old timer told me many years ago, when I was tossing a Pop'R, wait for circles to dissapate before starting retrieve, then pop a few times and kill it for a few seconds. His reasoning for the KILL was to let those fish that were down deep in the water column to start their ascent up to the bait and blow-up on it. This really assisted me in improving my catches. I'm sure with the Glide bait, this same bit of info would hold very true.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by plowjock View Post
    As an old timer told me many years ago, when I was tossing a Pop'R, wait for circles to dissapate before starting retrieve, then pop a few times and kill it for a few seconds. His reasoning for the KILL was to let those fish that were down deep in the water column to start their ascent up to the bait and blow-up on it. This really assisted me in improving my catches. I'm sure with the Glide bait, this same bit of info would hold very true.
    It doesn’t. A glides drawing power is its big swimming motion. Most all glides if paused for to long will sink. Short pause is what ya want, a lot of mine get bit when swimming and some right at the short pause of the reel handle.
    I slow swim mine and chop with the reel and light twitches with the rod. I also let mine sink for whatever count I think I need when first cast out then a slow retrieve to get them gliding like I want. Best bet OP is to throw it first in clear water to figure out what type of retrieve works best. I am by no means a glide bait expert but throw them plenty and get big bass and pike on them. I also use them as a search bait and always have a throw back bait waiting.
    96 Viper Coral202 225 Opti serial#1B011431

11. Member
    I try different glide baits I buy in a pool to get a feel for how they sink and the action they have while reeling at different speeds.
    Bass Boat