Thread: Old Gas

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Member
    I put Stabil in mine in October. Topped it off with premium a week ago and all good

2. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    Tony,
    My understanding of oxygen exposure is that it obviously increases evaporation but I would have to ask our Lab techs this question for more of a reliable response. I would think that adding the fuel stabilizers would slow down oxidation but I'm not completely sure on that one.
    I will ask tomorrow

Cool thank you. I have always been under the interpretation that fuel won’t degrade nearly as much if not exposed to any oxygen/atmosphere. So if you store it in something full to the brim, it won’t have any exposure and therefore not have the same degradation. Not saying forever, but say you’re storing non ethanol for say 4 months and it’s virtually air tight, should not be any need at all for stabilizers or anything. That’s how I’ve been doing it forever with 0 issues or 0 money spent on unnecessary additives.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moneyshot View Post
    Added seafoam, 15 gal of high octane, quick care n quick kleen and ran it. Missed a little under load for on the first run but ran well after that.
    What motor does you have. I pump most of minds,but there a tad in there.
    I have a Mercury 2.5 200hp.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rchavis View Post
    What motor does you have. I pump most of minds,but there a tad in there.
    I have a Mercury 2.5 200hp.
    I's gots a 13 250 proxs

5. Member
    I sometimes wonder if we all over think this 'fuel' info....I am like you guys and take extra care before putting my boat away for the winter. But I have pals who could care less, put their puts away in Nov and fire them up in the spring without missing a beat. I keep waiting for them to have issues, but it hasn't happened yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 99R93S View Post
    Cool thank you. I have always been under the interpretation that fuel won’t degrade nearly as much if not exposed to any oxygen/atmosphere. So if you store it in something full to the brim, it won’t have any exposure and therefore not have the same degradation. Not saying forever, but say you’re storing non ethanol for say 4 months and it’s virtually air tight, should not be any need at all for stabilizers or anything. That’s how I’ve been doing it forever with 0 issues or 0 money spent on unnecessary additives.
    OK ... their response to me was that keeping oxygen out of the fuel is very important in the longevity of gasoline if stored over several months. They still advocate the use of fuel stabilizers in ethanol blended gasoline. Hope this all helps some !!
    2024 Bass Cat Puma STS
    2024 Mercury V8 ProXS 250hp

Find a garden club or old tractor club, they'll run it in tractors and bring their own cans.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RMG63 View Post
    OK ... their response to me was that keeping oxygen out of the fuel is very important in the longevity of gasoline if stored over several months. They still advocate the use of fuel stabilizers in ethanol blended gasoline. Hope this all helps some !!
    It does, thank you for taking your time to ask and post.
    2008 Skeeter 21I. Yamaha 250 Series II.
    2011 Toyota Tundra Crewmax 4x4.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12