Active Target - Lost 'reverse' angle

Hi All,

Carbon 9, AT1

Fishing yesterday I noticed that the 'reverse' (don't know what the official term is) angle was no longer showing up for me...So I could see the normal forward mode but the small wedge behind the transducer was just black, hope I'm describing it well enough because it was raining all day so I didn't snap any pics.

Unit has been working normally otherwise and I haven't made any changes. I changed it to down-mode (on the unit and transducer mount) and it showed the same thing, only looked forward.

What do I need to look at, change, or try to get that reverse angle back? Any tips?

Thanks,
    -Logan

2. Member
    if you were in shallow water that can go away if I am understanding your terminology.

3. Member
    I was in deep enough water enough times (I think anyway, 10+ feet) and it was still gone. And when switched to down-mode to check that whole half of the screen was blank too (the part that would be behind the transducer).

Thanks,
    -Logan

4. Member
    Here is a picture of what I'm talking about...I can't get on the water to show what it actually looks like for a few days, but it's fairly straightforward. In the pick, the forward view from directly below the transducer and forward is normal and working fine. The area I circled in red, the part from below the transducer and behind it is just black. When I put it in down mode, its much more noticeable since that whole half of the screen is blank.

I haven't changed or added anything to my setup. Any ideas on what to check or do?

Thanks,
    -Logan

5. Member
    I saw this yesterday on the water fishing a tournament out of my friend's boat. We were fishing in 30 feet. It happened after he changed the bottom depth range and forward depth range manually. Fixed it for him by going to the AT menu and hitting "restore defaults" if I remember the menu choice correctly.
    ciao,
    Marc

6. Member
    I'm bumping this again because more often than not, I'm seeing this issue now.

Here is another picture of what I'm talking about - Has anyone experienced this? I'm hoping for some tips on what to check or do to resolve this.

-Logan

7. Member
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. No look back on 'forward mode'. Problem was I had the transducer in the wrong position.

8. Member
    Put the dispay on auto and see what image you get.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RFSims View Post
    I had the exact same thing happen to me. No look back on 'forward mode'. Problem was I had the transducer in the wrong position.
    Was it an issue with the mount or angle or something? I'm pretty sure I've got mine installed right and I had the look back for a while when I first installed AT, it just got lost somewhere along the way.

Thanks,
    -Logan

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    Put the dispay on auto and see what image you get.
    Do you mean auto range? If so, I have done that and it does the same thing. Thanks.
    -Logan

11. Member
    I would love to get rid of the reverse range, lol. Worthless information to me. Hope you get your issue figured out.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDS922 View Post
    Was it an issue with the mount or angle or something? I'm pretty sure I've got mine installed right and I had the look back for a while when I first installed AT, it just got lost somewhere along the way.

Thanks,
    I had changed from forward to scout. When I changed transducer back I inadvertently changed to down mode. I had HDS Live set for forward (don't use auto). After a day or so I realized what I did

13. Member
    Bumping back up...

Got a chance to test it at the lake again today. If have it in down position with the mode selection on the unit set to auto, it will display the down view perfectly fine. If I then pull of the TM and switch the transducer to forward position...The auto mode will switch it to forward view after 5 or 10 seconds and I will actually have the reverse view...But after another 10 seconds or so I lose that reverse view. Here is a pic, top pic is right after the auto mode changes it to forward view, bottom pic is when I lose the reverse angle again after another 10 seconds or so. Another weird thing is if I change the range or any other setting while it still has the reverse angle (before it goes away) I immediately lose the reverse angle when I make the change. (I have the vertical range so deep because it makes it easier to see the effect of losing the reverse angle)

I've tried toggling stable view off and then on, no effect.
    I've tried hitting the reset settings button in the menu, no effect.
    I've adjusted the height of the transducer up and down, doesn't seem to make any difference.

Obviously I can still use it in forward mode, but it's pretty frustrating to lose that reverse angle, especially in deeper water because a lot of times I'll be casting at stuff out front but then want to drop on a fish right below me. Seems like I'm the only one with extended issues with this, any advice on things to check either in settings or installation?

Thanks,
    -Logan

14. Member
    It would be easier for us to see the problem if you changed your down range to 30 feet in those last two photos instead of 80 feet. And I would take it out of "Auto" mode once you switch to forward view. Make sure the top menu choice is Forward, not Auto. And I assume when you switched from down mode to forward it was two clicks on the ratcheted mount?
    ciao,
    Marc

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc Marcantonio View Post
    It would be easier for us to see the problem if you changed your down range to 30 feet in those last two photos instead of 80 feet. And I would take it out of "Auto" mode once you switch to forward view. Make sure the top menu choice is Forward, not Auto. And I assume when you switched from down mode to forward it was two clicks on the ratcheted mount?
    I'm not on the water anymore, but I think the pics and description show the issue pretty well? The only way I can see the reverse angle now is by having it in auto mode, where it lasts for about 10 seconds before it disappears. If I select the mode manually (which I prefer to do anyway) I don't even get the reverse angle at all. Using auto today was just trying things out and it was nice to see that I did get the reverse angle for at least a few seconds.

When I switch from down to forward on the transducer I use the 'tick' marks on the mount for the position, not sure what you are referring to with 'two clicks' because it's more than 2 clicks between the two positions on the factory mount. I'm fairly certain I'm in the right position because forward view itself works normally.

I haven't made any changes to the unit since my initial setup, no software updates or new accessories.
    -Logan

16. Member
    your Depth Range should be in Auto also
    Last edited by Basshopper; 08-30-2023 at 12:49 AM.

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LDS922 View Post
    Do you mean auto range? If so, I have done that and it does the same thing. Thanks.
    No Not Auto Range Auto Image as on the same menu as selecting forward or down or scout.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    No Not Auto Range Auto Image as on the same menu as selecting forward or down or scout.
    I understand now. I've been reading some more posts and this one in particular makes me think that I might have a geometry issue? https://www.bbcboards.net/showthread.php?t=1233012

It's not the same issue as me, but when I turn stable view off the bottom is slanted downward just like the poster in that thread and his pics of his setup look like mine. Next time I'm at the lake I will mess with the angle of transducer and see if I can get it sorted out. I think the suggestion in that thread to use the auto-mode in order to determine the right angle will help. When I put it in auto mode, it generally will select the proper mode on it's own, but it takes a while and will sometimes bounce from Forward to scout, so I think at least part of my answer is in the angle of the transducer.

Looking thru the manual I see that the depiction of forward mode is very different from how mine looks in what I think is the right position, I might have been misinterpreting the 'tick' marks on the factor mount for the angle. Do your transducers look like the forward mode in the manual picture? This image had forward mode angled a LOT further down than what mine looks like.

If so, it's a little wild I've been using it like this half a season, because I can see my baits and fish and such pretty well with it how I have it setup.

Thanks again to all who have replied.
    -Logan

19. Member
    Mine looks like the photo. Cool thing with AT2 is they have actually colored the correct locations for each view with white lines. So there is no ambiguity as to where the correct location is.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175