recommendation for a carbon fiber tripod for hiking?a

I have a GItZO explorer Ive used for years. As those years fly by Im looking for a carbon fiber tripod to lug around with a Nikon D500 and 200-500mm lens. I currently use the BH-55 ball head. Am considering a Gimbal ball head with the CF tripod. What do you all use when you're planning a long hike carrying your gear. Budget is wide open. I have to spend my social security raise on something!
    thanks!

2. Member
    Ok...I'll Bite!
    The tripod setup I use for photo walks and events is a RRS #TVC-24L (series 2, 4-section) paired with a RRS #BH-40 Ball Head. Total weight is 4-1/2 lbs.
    I am tall, 6'-5", so the 4-section TriPod works best for me. You can save some weight with a 3-section Tripod as they do not extend in height as much.
    If you want to go with a Gimbal Head I would not suggest the RRS because is is not lite weight.
    Take a look at a Pro Media Gear's Gimbal Heads. They will add about another lbs over a BH-40 Ball Head.
    My Conowingo Dam setup for Eagles is a RRS #TVC-34L paired with a RRS #PG-02 Pano/Gimbal Head. With this setup I am not concerned about the weight only max stability.
    Good luck with your search!

3. Member
    I been using a manfrotto mt055cxpro4 with a manfrotto xpro 3 way pan and tilt head with the 200pl-14 quick release plate.
    Not to expensive about 650.00

4. Member
    Thanks for all those who took a bite. Your responses gives me some more options on what to buy.