Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mega live trolling motor interference issue

I am having issues only with mega live and interference only when prop is running on tolling motor. I have mega 360, 3 helix units up front, choke installed on cranking battery but have two batteries in parallel for starting. Current software on all units and mega live. Tried noise filters which did not seem to change anything. Any ideas on what is the problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images

2. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Make sure you have the Choke properly installed. There is all kinds of mis-information on "the net" about where it needs to be installed. You say that you have it connected to your starting battery, but is that the battery you have your Mega Live and other fishing electronics connected to? Here is information I have supplied on numerous Fakebook posts on this subject:

You only use the choke if you have a Trolling Motor, an onboard charger, and are having interference. If you are getting trolling motor interference, then it needs to be installed between the charger and the battery you have your fishing electronics connected to.

Sometimes Trolling Motor interference can feed back through the charger and make its way to the electronics battery even though the charger isn't being used. That is when you need to use the choke.

Beware because there is all kinds of incorrect information in various "Fakebook" posts about where to install the choke. It has to go between the charger and battery you are using for your electronics.

If you don't have an onboard charger or aren't getting Interference, then you can just set it aside.
    ---> Regards, Steve Yarbrough (AKA: SLYDoggieTN on YouTube)
    • Apex 19/16/13, Mega 360, and Mega Live
    • Minn Kota Ulterra Quest Trolling Motor
    • (2) Cannon Optimum Bluetooth Downriggers
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

3. Member
    With the parallel setup the charger is attached positive of one battery and negative of another per ionic specs. I suspect this is likely the issue

4. Member
    Any ideas on how to fix this when batteries are in parallel and you need to cross charge

Quote Originally Posted by walleye3456 View Post
    Any ideas on how to fix this when batteries are in parallel and you need to cross charge
    You start first with determining the path for RFI, you do that by disconnecting the battery charger leads (+ and -) from the starting battery/s.
    If RFI is eliminated, then install the RFI choke on those two wires===that's it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA+ SI G3N/G4N, Helix 15 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G4N
    SOLIX 12 SI/G3, Helix 8 CHIRP MEGA SI+ G4N, Ultrex 80/LINK, MEGA360,
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

6. Member
    I already have the choke on the wires, I am guessing then my issue is somewhere else.

I already have the choke on the wires, I am guessing then my issue is somewhere else.
    The choke is not a guaranteed fix, just one of the many remedies for RFI.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

8. Member
    Tried again with battery charger unhooked, all units off except unit running live. Still get interference with trolling motor when running. Where would be next best place to check. I have checked fuse in trolling motor head that is good.

Tried again with battery charger unhooked, all units off except unit running live. Still get interference with trolling motor when running. Where would be next best place to check. I have checked fuse in trolling motor head that is good.
    Separate all transducer cables from being close to the trolling motor power wires.
    Properly manage the excess transducer cables and power cables==no continuous loops or haphazard storage.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

10. Member
    Ok what about steering/power cable from trolling motor should they be sperate from there as well

Ok what about steering/power cable from trolling motor should they be sperate from there as well
    That is trolling motor power wires. Those start at the battery and end at the motor itself. The ground wire that the fuse is on takes care of part of it.
    Wayne Purdum
    Charlottesville, Va.
    MEGA LIVE, LIVE TL

12. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    I don't think this has been mentioned... there is a fuse in the head of most trolling motors which can cause RFI if it is shot. Make sure yours is good.
    • Impulse Lithium Batteries... 36V 60AH for Trolling Motor, (2) 12V 120AH for Cranking & Electronics, 12V 60AH for Downriggers

13. Member
    Thanks I did check the fuse prior it was good, yesterday I think found the issue there was a buss in front for trolling motor connection, the one side was loose and an Ethernet cable near it. I am going to fix that reassemble and try things out again.

14. Humminbird Moderator SLYDoggie's Avatar
    Thanks I did check the fuse prior it was good, yesterday I think found the issue there was a buss in front for trolling motor connection, the one side was loose and an Ethernet cable near it. I am going to fix that reassemble and try things out again.
    Good luck. These Trolling Motor issues can be very difficult to diagnose and fix. There are so many things that can cause the issue.

15. Member
    Fixed loose connection, rearranged all the wires around and still no luck. Same interference issues

16. Member
    Is worth a try to ground the Ethernet boxes?

17. Member
    What has worked for me is run a ground wire from the trolling motor skeg to a ground from the starting battery. Can be any ground under the front deck as long as it goes to the starting battery.

Following
    Kevin R. Brown
    2020 Bass Cat Cougar
    2020 250 Mercury Pro XS 4-Stroke
    Mega Live & Mega 360
    Ionic Lithum Batteries
    1999 Bass Cat Jaguar
    99 Mercury 250efi

19. Member
    I am testing again tomorrow, I did another complete reorg of all power and Ethernet wires in bow. Replaced trolling motor Ethernet cable as it had several bad looking kinks in it. Also took prop off trolling motor cleared some grass that was around prop underneath. I have ferrite rings to try if still having issues and a temp ground wire I can run attached to trolling motor if needed

20. Member
    Try getting as many wraps as you can around the ferrite ring with the trolling motor ethernet cable nearest the Helix.
    Console: [Helix 10 MSI G3N>AS GPS HS>2x XM 9 HW MSI T>XNT HW T]:[Helix 10 G4N>XNT HW T]:[AS ETH 5PXG]
    Front: [Helix 10G3N>XM 9 HW MSI>Mega360 Universal];[Helix 12 G2N]:[MK Ulterra 60" i-pilot Link]:[AS ETH 5PXG]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast