Thread: Lithium?

Lithium?

Just bought a new boat has lithium starting battery and 3 acid trolling motor batteries. Can I replace a acid battery with a lithium in a series?
    Thanks Jeff

2. Member
    Not a good idea in series. Different voltages for one. The imbalance is not good for any of the batteries
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

3. Member
    Yes, you can. Maybe not ideal for long term, but it will work.

4. Electrical/Wiring/Trolling Motors Moderator CatFan's Avatar
    Kind a waste of money. Series is like a chain, so you can’t fish longer than the weakest link. Or battery in this case.
    If you have integrity, nothing else matters. If you don't have integrity,
    nothing else matters.​

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatFan View Post
    Kind a waste of money. Series is like a chain, so you can’t fish longer than the weakest link. Or battery in this case.
    I have the lithium already I removed it from my old boat before selling it. The boat purchased has lead acid batteries over three years old. I was wanting to put my lithium in the series and replace the other ones later this year.

6. Member
    First question: Is the boat fishable with the existing batteries? If so, I suggest fishing with them until you can replace all three.

Second: Do you have a suspect battery in the three existing? Might be better off going to Wal-Mart and replacing it rather than sticking a lithium where it doesn't belong.

Third: Have you done your homework on charger capabilities? May be an issue. Potentially serious.

I agree with mikeky. It will work. 12 volts is 12 volts. May not be a good idea, though.

7. Member
    13.6 is not 12.6. Not 12 and 12.
    Tell me where has a slow movin' once quick draw outlaw got to go

8. Member
    Thanks. I’m going to use boat as is the charger has settings for lithium and the cranking battery is lithium. I know that the three existing ones are old.

9. Member
    One pro of using individual 12 volt lithium batteries in series vs one 24 volt lithium or one 36 volt lithium, is if a 12 volt battery fails you can sub a conventional battery until you get a lithium replacement.

Again, maybe not the ideal situation, but you asked if you could use a lithium in place of an acid. The answer is yes.

10. Member
    sorry...defect post